UN Association

by Jules Saturn 17 Replies latest jw experiences

• Jules Saturn
    Jules Saturn

So this happened awhile back ago, I was talking to this bethelite that I respect, I consider him to be very sincere. This was during the time I had discovered the UN association the Society had as an NGO. I already knew the answer, but to see his response, I asked him "Was the Society ever part of the United Nations?" and he tells me "No, not at all." So you could see why I found his answer insteresting. I thought his response would be interesting because he's been at Bethel since the late 90's, so surely he would know more about the Society than I do. But hearing him deny it told me 2 things.

1. He's lying

2. He genuinely doesn't know about the association the Society had with the UN

Which if that's the case, that he doesn't know, it tells me that the majority of Witnesses, even those on a higher level, are unaware of it. What has been your experience when talking to Witnesses about this subject? Did you find a least a few people that were aware of it or more people that knew absolutely nothing about it?

~Jules

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

I'm sure the vast majority dont know about it. I certainly didn't when i was in. I get the following response whenever i bring this up:

1. If I'm not holding a copy of the UN letter - they deny it and say it'll be an apostate lie and "i cant believe you were taken in by it"

2. If i am holding it - they deny it and say it's an apostate lie and "i cant believe you were taken in by it"

3. If i show them the letter and Watchtowers reply about it only being so they could access the library they say "they're imperfect men, they make mistakes, doesn't that show you how humble they are?"

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I don't think the WTS publicly made it known even in its publications that it had joined the UN as a NGO.

It would be good guess that when it did that only the top administrative heads would know.

• Jules Saturn
    Jules Saturn

I imagined that anyone at HQ would've known about it but I guess it's only whoever was in the writing department

• Londo111
    Londo111

The Watchtower is compartmentalized and it operates on a need to know basis. Unless a person is a “heavy”, they listen, obey and slave in their assignments, until they get laid off.

Even if a person has heard wind of this, there is always a list of second-hand excuses that they sincerely repeat. “We didn’t join the UN, we were only an NGO to get a library card, ect, ect…”

• Jules Saturn
    Jules Saturn

I feel like if I were to bring it up to my family, they might say "Yeah but are they currently an NGO?" and I'd say "No, but that's not the point, etc..."

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Just another one of their little "secrets" (not anymore). Damn the internet!

• sir82
    sir82

Probably not even 1 in a thousand, or maybe 1 in 10,000, JWs know anything about it.

Pretty much the only place to find out about it is "apostate" websites.

• Giordano
    Giordano

I think you have to compare it to the ban on joining the YM or YWCA to just swim in their pool or shoot some baskets or use the exercise room.

Which is worse in the Societies mind?

• Londo111
    Londo111

Are they currently a NGO?

Not of the UN anymore, but are they not an NGO with OSCE?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit