Lawyers release survey on alleged Jehovah's Witness child abuse

by Tahoe 28 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Tahoe
    Tahoe

A team of lawyers has released the results of its survey on alleged child abuse by members of the Jehovah's Witnesses religious group in Japan.

The team held a news conference in Tokyo on Monday. It provides legal support to former members of the group as well as to children of its members.

The lawyers conducted the survey, following the publishing of the health and welfare ministry guidelines last year about child abuse related to parents' religious beliefs. A total of 560 people responded.

The survey shows 81 percent of the respondents said they had cards indicating they desired to refuse blood transfusions.

The ministry's guidelines state that parents' refusal of medical treatments for children on religious grounds amounts to neglect --- a form of abuse.

The lawyers said investigations are necessary to find how many people died from refusing blood transfusions, and how many of them were children.

The survey also shows 92 percent of the respondents experienced whipping, 96 percent were banned from school activities, and 93 percent were forced to limit their human relations.

The lawyers said many of the children experienced physical and mental abuse, which afterward led to problems such as loneliness, sense of alienation and a lack of self-esteem. They pointed out such people are also facing economic problems due to limitations of their education and job opportunities.

The lawyers are asking the religious group to explain the government's guidelines to all of its followers and urge parents to avoid child abuse. They stressed they have no intention to prohibit individuals' freedom of belief or boost prejudice or discrimination against the group's members.

Ahead of the news conference, the lawyers visited the Children and Families Agency to submit a petition for an investigation by public authorities. The petition asks authorities to determine if the religious group can be put under an order of removing its religious corporation status. It also calls on the authorities to consider regulating abuse by religious and other organizations outside children's homes.

One of the lawyers, Tanaka Kotaro, said he wants society to be aware that the children have lost their spirit and are suffering a great deal of psychological pressure. He called for a change in the situation where long-term abuses deprive children of spirit.

Asked about the survey results, Jehovah's Witnesses told NHK that it never tolerates child abuse in any form. The group said it had consistently advised parents to teach and discipline their children in a loving manner in harmony with what the Bible teaches.

The group also said the survey was based on responses from a small number of people, compared to roughly 214,000 followers in Japan and about 8.7 million globally. The group concluded that it should be impossible to see the whole picture from the answers of a limited number of people who have negative feelings.

Meanwhile, Children's Policy Minister Kato Ayuko said that child abuse is definitely unacceptable even if there is religious belief in the background. She added that she hopes to make a compilation of consultations about child abuse by the end of March, and then discuss how to tackle the issue.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20231120_26/

• TonusOH
    TonusOH
    The group said it had consistently advised parents to teach and discipline their children in a loving manner in harmony with what the Bible teaches.

Which is to say... spare the rod and spoil the child. Which sure seems to encourage physical beatings as an approved form of discipline.

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Tahoe:

Great article, thank you very much!

Atlantis!

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze
    The survey also shows 92 percent of the respondents experienced whipping, 96 percent were banned from school activities, and 93 percent were forced to limit their human relations.

Yes, I remember those days. Smoked a lot of weed back then to cope.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

When I was a very young boy I was caught smoking with a bunch of neighbourhood kids. Luckily I was caught the first time, by my ( kind of) JW Grandfather. Fortunately this would prove to be the first and the last time I ever tried smoking. Let’s just it was case of “spare the rod, spoil the child.” What I received from my Grandfather was enough to put me off smoking for life.

• raymond frantz
    raymond frantz

Interesting

• LV101
    LV101

Hate that abusive scripture.

• Biahi
    Biahi

I liked the part which said that the children’s spirit was destroyed, it hit home for me. And, joe134, I’m sorry you were beaten. 😢

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

This "team of lawyers", who commissioned them, what are they called? Are they working towards a class action on behalf of victims? Are they working for a government department? The article seems somewhat incomplete.

Edit: Here is a slightly different article: https://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/15062839

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2023/03/15/national/jehovahs-witnesses-whipping/

Corporal punishment, specifically whipping, has been systemically used by followers of the Jehovah's Witnesses religious group against their children in Japan, a survey showed Tuesday.

Submitting the results of the survey to the welfare ministry, a group of children of followers asked the ministry to make appropriate responses.

Takeshi Komatsu, a child of a Jehovah's Witnesses follower, says he was whipped by his mother.

The survey found that about 30% of such "second-generation followers" had been whipped by their parents with items such as leather belts and electric cords since before they turned three years old and some 75% since before they entered elementary school.

The most cited reason was "napping or talking during congregations." Others included "answering back to parents" and "playing with a schoolmate."

Some respondents said they have been suffering depression as a result of whipping.

In the online survey, conducted in September 2021, 255 former followers and children of followers between the ages of 10 and 69 across Japan gave answers.

"I still cannot forget the sight of children screaming after they were taken into a large room at a congregation when I was a child," a 44-year-old victim said, stressing that Jehovah's Witnesses should reflect on what followers have done.

In February, a group of lawyers started supporting those second-generation followers.

In a statement issued on March 1, the Japanese branch of Jehovah's Witness said it does not accept child abuse.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit