not one but four witnesses at my door

by gerry 12 Replies latest jw experiences

• gerry
    gerry

Having not had a witness knock on my door since I left over 13 years ago I was surprised a few Sunday mornings ago to find two young sisters who I had not seen before at my door. It was not long before their husbands who were witnessing at my neighbors joined the conversation. The conversation went on for some time so I am keeping the experience as brief as I can.

Mind you with all what has been happening lately with the Australian Royal Commission here in Australia I had been looking forward to having a discussion with any witness who comes within earshot. Anyway my heart was pumping my breathing suffering. I had given public talks and assembly talks but no way had I been this nervous.

My brain was flashing from one topic to the next. I was telling myself I need to stay focused and keep them on the one track. Child abuse first but they were adamant things have changed for the better. One of the couples had just been kicked out of Bethel so I asked what is going on with all the layoffs as my wife has relatives in a European Bethel who are in their late eighties and these two sisters had been told to leave. Again they are programmed not to think negatively so it is a non event to them.

Having found out I used to be an elder in the congregation one of the sisters had her ipad out and wanted to show me a video and said look we have a convention coming up soon. Wow that vision of that loyalty convention hit me. I was now focused and a little excited but breathing normal.

I said what bothers me most about being a witness is the practice of shunning. They said but we have to keep the congregation clean. I said look I have been there I have given talks and I have used illustrations to help understand keeping the congregation clean, for example to enjoy a sport you have rules and penalties etc. But what I am talking about is when young people get disfellowshipped and they are then cut off completely from their friends and their family.

They said no, it does not happen like that.

OK I said here is the situation pointing to one of the young sisters. Imagine she has just left school, started working and then she gets involved with a worldly boy and at eighteen years of age she gets disfellowshipped.

She is then cut off from all her friends and her family.

No they said she still has her family.

No I said because what happens next is her father feels the best thing to do is to kick her out of the family home..

No they said it is not like that.

Me: Well I know for a fact that this did and does happen.

Here is the next scenario some time down the track this girl is upset and she phones her mother..

The mother knows it is her daughter but refuses to answer the phone................

The former Bethel elder says that is so wrong she could be in trouble or her life could be in danger.

They all agreed.

I then said Let’s move along now fifteen years later this girl now has 2 little kiddies and decides she wants to return to Jehovah. She brings her family to the meetings and sits at the back of the hall with her 2 little kiddies.

Question. How long should she have to wait to be reinstated?

They answered not long at all maybe a few months.

Me: What would you say if I told you this sister, after 15 years cut off from her family had to wait another year?

That is so wrong they said.

Good I said keep that experience in mind..

It has now been 3 weeks and no repercussions as yet

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

nice username

• gerry
    gerry

thanks yours is berry nice too. cheers gerry hatrick

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

Excellent post. Im recently disfellowshipped myself. The shunning thing was a major stumbling block for me, and being shunned myself now i see it was a sad affair. Not for me, i couldn't give a rats-ass that JW's pretend im invisible... it's just weird. Its not normal and not right. My mother and sisters want to talk to me. They're in another congregation. But they dont because they're told not to by an organization. How bad is that?

My mum used the reasoning “we have to stop talking/associating with you so that one day you’ll come back”. But then, I’d be coming back to get my family back. Nothing to do with “the truth”. Pure blackmail and cult control right there.

As for the example of the mother not answering the phone to her DF daughter – this very situation is in the new video they’re going to show at this years convention. The “faithful” mother doesn’t answer the phone and is praised for it.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Fantastic!

So when they watch the 2016 convention videos, I wonder if they will see the point, or just accept it as "normal" due to watching in a crowd .....

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

You should of shown them the video. That would of let the cat amongst the pigeons. JWs are just so unaware of things.

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

Unfortunately, they will watch the video and just go on with their "head bobbing," agreeing with everything played out in the video.

It seems they only way a JW see's thing for what they really are, is when it happens to them.

• Listener
    Listener

That's great Gerry. That took a lot of courage, strange isn't it, you were there speaking truth to them yet it was still difficult to start with. They have back up, usually just one person but in your case, another three, so it's no wonder your heart was pounding.

• gerry
    gerry

thanks to convention video leaks had a heads up on them...It was good to get them answering as a human and not with blinkers on. just found out their convention is on in 3 weeks time..

look forward to a follow up.

• Je.suis.oisif
    Je.suis.oisif

Well handled gerry. Keep us updated.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit