I Just had a CLOSE ENCOUNTER of the Dub kind

by TerryWalstrom 31 Replies latest jw experiences

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

When are the going to put that Starbucks on the Do Not Call list?

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom

I have three Starbucks within bicycling distance and I triangulate locations for variety's sake. I like to sit outside because I'm a fresh air and sunshine addict. (Yes, I will die in agony of cancer.) JW's come and go and it is easy to spot them. For some reason unknown to me, there hasn't been any effort to blacklist me or post a WANTED DEAD or ALIVE poster. I think this is for a very good reason.

My persona is not confrontational. I speak quietly and don't push. With the exception of the Asian lady, nobody has made a fast getaway before--although, now that I think about it--there have been some abrupt endings.

Honest Dubs have secret worries and inner questionings. What I say to them is spoken without cynicism or bluster--it is stated matter-of-factly.

I know for a fact, at least 2 young JW's within the last year have definitely had their Wake Up Call as a direct result of our continuing conversations. A 21-year-old JW calls, texts and visits with me often.
    He is an invaluable inside source for me as far as getting the pulse on young Dub's thinking within the Congregations he attends.

I would enjoy a "Gotcha" with a smug JW as much as anybody else. However, I think it is counter-productive. Why would anybody I have humiliated want to return for a chat?

Slow and steady wins the race. In the case of activism, the "win" should never come at the cost of somebody's mental health.

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

I tell you every-ting.....he looka like an Apoz-tate!

• Twitch
    Twitch

Thanks for this little literary gem; your rapier like wit cuts to the heart of the matter. Well done sir.

• Lieu
    Lieu

Hilarious!!! "Unclean, unclean" .... I couldn't stop laughing for a good bit. Awesome writing. I could envision the entire event.

Nice job. You were polite, allowed her to finish her presentation, and didn't jump at her like a psycho. Your words will stay with her. Now whether they turn any noggin wheels...???

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

I'm even surprised that she stayed around when you told her that you were a baptized JW before. I remember, back in the days, I encountered 2 or three people like that in the door to door ministry and I would politely answer:

"Well then, you already know about our message. Would you like the visit of the local elders? No? Than have a good day!" .. and I'd leave. Never would I have stayed.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

@Terry

Nice read, but i'm trying to understand why you wanted to put an end to the conversation (you know you were). Pulling out the "cult" card almost always means run to the exits, and you certainly knew this would happen

My feeling is that you thought the language barrier presented an extra hurdle in trying to reason with this woman - you really didn't think you would have any success anyway, so you pulled out the big scary conversation stopper just for fun.

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom
    edvip20002 hours ago

@Terry

Nice read, but i'm trying to understand why you wanted to put an end to the conversation (you know you were). Pulling out the "cult" card almost always means run to the exits, and you certainly knew this would happen

My feeling is that you thought the language barrier presented an extra hurdle in trying to reason with this woman - you really didn't think you would have any success anyway, so you pulled out the big scary conversation stopper just for fun.

Communication was a problem.

Her accent was thick.

Mainly, I was unable to determine the proper way to proceed.
    In speaking to active JW's there is a tendency to throw the kitchen sink at them like a shotgun blast.

She struck me as intelligent, kind, devoted, and perhaps vulnerable.
    Maybe I'm wrong about the 'vulnerable' part because she was, after a bit, protective of her self.

I'm at a different Starbucks today.
    I had never seen her before and doubt I'll see her again.

We are always wiser the next day.
    I should have asked her personal questions rather than doing a soliloquy. That was my biggest failure.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Terry - "Her pleasant face warped into a crumpled Halloween mask of terror."

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom

It was rather unsettling to become a source of terror!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit