"Psychiatrist is an Admission of Defeat"

by new boy 18 Replies latest jw friends

• new boy
    new boy

The society has said. “The Christian witnesses of Jehovah are the best oriented, happiest and most contended group of people on the face of the Earth. So why on Earth would any good follower need the help of a mental health professional?” The society tells about the evils of seeking help from outside their organization.

"As a rule, for a Christian to go to a worldly psychiatrist is an admission of defeat. It amounts to 'going down to Egypt for help' - Isaiah 31:1. ...Also, more and more psychiatrists are resorting to hypnosis which is a demonic form of worldly wisdom." Awake! 1960 March 8 p. 27

“Often when a Witness of Jehovah goes to a psychiatrist, the psychiatrist will try to persuade him that his troubles are caused by his religion, entirely overlooking the fact that the Christian witnesses of Jehovah are the best oriented, happiest and most contended group of people on the face of the Earth. They have the least need for psychiatrists. Also, more and more psychiatrists are resorting to hypnosis, which is a demonic form of worldly wisdom.” Awake! 1954

Why would the society not want their mentally distressed followers see a psychiatrist? Because they are concerned for the welfare and health of their disciples? No, they don’t care if you are about ready to blow your brains out, because your parents and Aunt Rose are going to die at Armageddon.

What are they worried about then? They state it very clearly. “The psychiatrist will try to persuade him that his troubles are caused by his religion”

Wow, they don’t even blink an eye do they?

What if this is true? What if your whack job of a religion is creating the grief and distress in your life!

Cool aid anyone?

• Simon
    Simon

Their message is basically: "Don't seek help, just pretend to be happy!"

• sparky1
    sparky1

What Witness really needs the help of a psychiatrist?

These 4 items should carry them through right up to Armageddon!

(Disclaimer: I wanted to go to medical school and become a psychiatrist but my fanatical, god deluded mother would not hear of it. Instead I became a Bethelite and went crazy there.)

• burnedout
    burnedout

Way too accurate Sparky!

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

They now mention briefly that some may need to seek professional help. So many Witnesses take anti-depressants,and some even regularly see a psychiatrist.

New light,hahaha,although,there are always sticklers that hang on to the old ways of viewing things.

• days of future passed
    days of future passed

Yes, if you are depressed and have anxiety, it doesn't mean that you should have counseling by a worldly person. It means that you've done something wrong. That's what one Elder told me.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Empty inside: They now mention briefly that some may need to seek professional help

Which means that they can accomodate professionals that have JW credentials. Most JWs that get counseling get it from JW counsellors

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

So why on Earth would any good follower need the help of a mental health professional?

The WTS down played mental health practice because they asserted no one who was a dedicated follower, baptized etc. as a JWS would never need help due to mental health issues.

It essentially spoils the image of what they are trying to sell, in that whoever fully immerse themselves in the bible and its teachings would never need outside help from other sources.

Keep close to Jah and the bible and you'll never have mental health issues or be depressed because Jah's people are the most happiest people on earth.

This is why you see JWS with big pretentious smiles on their faces at Kingdom Halls or even at funerals .

Non-JWS have made comments to that strange behavior at JWS funerals.

• blondie
    blondie

A psychiatrist does not necessarily look for an emotional cause. They are medical doctors trained to see signs of brain illness, etc, that cause these symptoms. A psychologist might more likely look for non physical causes but can also see signs of physical causes and refers them to a psychiatrist.

• Freedom rocks
    Freedom rocks

When my husband was in his deepest throes of depression and his mental health was out of control I told an elder that I'd been encouraging him to go for counselling and the elder held up his bible and said "the best counselling is in this".

No wonder there are so Many jws with long term depression, anxiety, mental health problems if they aren't allowed to get professional help. I wonder how many have committed suicide in the religion because they were discouraged from getting outside professional help.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit