Human element seen in 10 commandments

by venus 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• venus
    venus

I appreciate 10 commandments because they try to ensure law and order in the society. However, I have problem with introductory statements that say: “You shall have no other gods before[a] me… You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments.” (Exodus 20:3-6)

1) This contradicts the characteristics of God described in Mathew 5:44-48 where love is described as loving everyone without thinking whether others reciprocate or not. This also goes against the very definition of God in I John 4:8 where word used for love is agape (unconditional love).

2) This defies also the logic. If there is only one God, it would not have been possible for man to find another God to worship, hence prohibition of worship of other gods is unnecessary. If other gods exists, even then prohibition is unnecessary because other gods exists—a fact to be acknowledged.

When God makes a statement, He can’t make mistake. If mistakes occur, it means a thoughtless human being is behind the message.

In such a context, if at all God were to communicate, He would only say something like this: “I am source of all qualities, and have a fullness of them, hence I can only give, not receive, like the ‘sun’ that only gives, but never receives anything in return. (Psalm 84:11) By praising/worshiping Me, neither of us benefits. Instead, you become worship-worthy through your selfless acts. When people observe them, they would love you as worship-worthy, and would even feel inspired to behave like you—thus you both benefit.”

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

What about the last Commandment something about not boiling a baby goat in its mothers milk?? What the hell? And of course nothing mentioned about rape or slavery!

• smiddy
    smiddy

{…You shall have no other gods before[a] me}

Obviously Jehovah was not willing to share the spotlight with his peers.Gen.3:22

{ I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me,} (and every overlapping generation ever since)

That would have to be the understatement in all of Evolutions history wouldnt it ?

How can that equate with a" God of Love" or " He loved the world so much he gave his only begotten son" yet he keeps punishing Adam and Eves offspring to this very day.for their act of eating a forbidden fruit.and not just with death but a myriad of debillitating diseases to boot.

{When God makes a statement, He can’t make mistake.}

So when Jehovah God changes his mind as he has done on a few occassions ,its not because he has made a mistake ?

Just saying

However it is true the" Human Element is seen in the Ten Commandments" as well as the rest of the Bible.

• venus
    venus

Crazyguy & smiddy,

What human writers wanted to convey they conveyed through the mouth of God giving the impression that God was conveying—may be to get more acceptance, hence we have all these discrepancies and mistakes.

• Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho
    Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho

I'm really interested in what the original ancient Greek word for "inspired" meant, when the Bible says that "all scripture is inspired of God." I know Witnesses take this word to mean a literal dictation of thoughts, as though a businessman were dictating a letter to a secretary. I'm going to take a gamble and guess that "inspired" in ancient Greek does NOT mean "verbatim rhetoric", but rather "pertaining to," like an homage to the God it was written about, or something. Anyone know much about this?

• venus
    venus

Witnesses explain the word “inspired” using the illustration of “a boat being drawn along by the wind.”

• Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho

@venus, in that case, the boat seriously got rocked and shipwrecked judging by the overwhelming evidence that the Bible is the work of man - not a supreme deity.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

This contradicts the characteristics of God described...

I got bored right after this, but to your point, if you objectively analyze the bible god, not only is in fact full of jealousy, but also more like schizophrenic, bipolar disorder with narcissistic and psychotic episodes. The behavior of that god is so inconsistent and erratic, than any human being behaving that way today would be in some asylum.

• venus
    venus

scratchme1010,

My point is that one needs to accept from what appeals to his reason--not everything it says. What falls below the reason belongs to human thinking, hence to be treated accordingly.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

Just like the 2 tablets that they were supposedly written on, the 10 commandments reflect 'stone age' thinking.

just saying!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit