Embracing, Not Running From, My Repressive JW Heritage, Finding A Few Things Worth Salvaging

by TMS 27 Replies latest jw experiences

• TMS
    TMS

enjoyed your points, millie210 and Pete Zahut. Yes, we get a unique lesson from our experiences, whatever they were, Nazi concentration camps or the streets of Calcutta or something in between.

Would I have learned more as a freshman at the University of Washington than being a 17 year old on the streets of Brownsville, Texas, with Spanish by far the predominant language? Imagine the cultural shock of being dropped off 8 AM on Saturday morning on the main business street, then picked up at noon in what could just have well been Mexico City, with loud music, business owner's who actually cared about religion in my face. Later that week, I was at the Port of Brownsville boarding ships from Norway, Liberia and England, talking "the truth."

Maybe, my eventual wife and I shouldn't have agreed to move to central Arkansas when I was 21 and she 25 where I replaced a pedophile Congregation Servant. Again, cultural shock, working for minimum wage at a chicken plant and wood product factory under unsafe conditions, meeting a wide variety of folk, unsavory and savory.

What about our ten years as basically the only whites at the last unsegregated black congregation in Little Rock, Arkansas? Do we not have some insight few have experienced?

None of this is meant to undersell the harm done by the high control, dumbass religious cult known as Jehovah's Witnesses. I can actually agree with the uneducated, illiterate woman I met in the cotton field of Carden Bottoms, Arkansas in 1970. She tried to prove to me that "Jehovah was the last church in the Bible." She was right as rain, but couldn't prove it flipping through her Bible upside down.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

I was one of a very small group of white people attending a Historically Black University.

Yes, it was culture shock in many ways, and yes I learned a hell of a lot, as well as earning my degree.

I am way more conversant in differing points of view now.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

I'm quite good at finding scriptures in the NWT and handing out leaflets

• TMS
    TMS

Ucantnome,"I'm quite good at finding scriptures in the NWT and handing out leaflets"

have you ever considered full-time service?

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

All those little skills are nothing compared to the damage this organization has done to many of us .

• TMS
    TMS

wannaexit, "All those little skills are nothing compared to the damage this organization has done to many of us"

touche'

• prologos
    prologos

As a potential loser, Beta-Omega male, without the wt conditioning [them] I would have never been considered by the tall, slim, educated females that considered me worthy company in my early wt years, and "jack-pot" (my worldly sister's evaluation) wives. So, it was good training, but resources draining. lessons learned for the future? what future? Freedom from false hopes. and embracing the embraceable. 

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

Hmmm not a whole lot of value...

learned to give a speech without being nervous.

Learned to stand up for an unpopular viewpoint

learned to identify with the minority

read the bible thru numerous times

learned first hand what a cult mentality is

learned how to live on beans

Can't think of any more.

• just fine
    just fine

I won't say I have embraced my JW past but I have made peace with it. I don't get mad about the things I might have missed out on, and try to experience and accomplish as much as I can from this point forward. What a ride it's been! Mostly good, sometimes scary, but love being free to be me.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

have you ever considered full-time service?

yes.

the theocratic ministry school wasn't something i would ever have joined had i not felt threatened and i never saw any benefit to me or those i listened to in my opinion.

we had a discussion once with my parents as to weather it was them or the truth as to why we turned out fine. my father felt it was him.

i suppose im trying to think of a benefit. maybe i wouldn't have been a christian but maybe i would

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit