Embracing, Not Running From, My Repressive JW Heritage, Finding A Few Things Worth Salvaging

by TMS 27 Replies latest jw experiences

• TMS
    TMS

Yes, we could have been born in an alley in Calcutta or with the physical deformities associated with thalidomide. Instead, we were born into or introduced to a repressive, American, religious cult, that shielded us from the warmongering game of chess, the militaristic boy scouts, fornication-inducing sock hops, the Twist, as well as the Hokey Pokey. We heeded the warnings, avoiding the greedy self-worship associated with masturbation, decadent rock 'n roll and anything preceded by the word "extra-curricular."

Without exaggeration, we, the 50's, 60's, boomer and pre-boomer, non-flag saluting Witness kids grew up with limited social skills, awkward even when politely asked about our strange beliefs. Teachers and school counselors, were, for the most part, puzzled, but respectful, concerned about why we were so obviously, willingly, sabotaging our future, eschewing anything associated with "higher education," little know-it-alls that smugly knew the future so precisely we spoke about it in months, not years.

When, I tried to use my religion as an excuse for not being normal, my sixth grade non-JW friend, Dennis Kuder, said: "We all have our own little holies."

Six years later, an exasperated school counselor asked: "Why doesn't a minister or even a missionary need an education?"

Ironically, many of us, still teenagers, uneducated, but "ministers" with a Selective Service 4D classification to prove it, found ourselves "teaching" in the congregation, especially as pioneers "where the need, not greed, was great." My first big job was that of Theocratic Ministry School Servant. Betwixt and between the "Qualified to Be Ministers" book and the non-yet-released TMS guidebook, we relied on a series of Kingdom Ministry inserts with the new "counseling" points for TMS gurus. Like many young men and women from that era, I actually studied and restudied that shit, memorizing all of it, assimilating all of it, and, admittedly, use the skills to this very day. All of us acquired an undeniable skill set we need not unlearn. I list below just a few.

CONDENSATION: Write out a six minute talk. Now, condense it to a single paragraph, retaining ALL of the main points. Now, try putting all of that into a single sentence. It can be done. A useful skill? Yes, if you're suddenly forced to share your belief or viewpoint or idea in a greatly reduced amount of time.

ESTABLISHING COMMON GROUND: You have SOMETHING in common with everyone else on planet earth, whether a Satanist, nudist, KKK Grand Dragon, pope or ax murderer. Can you figure out what that is?

AUDIENCE CONTACT, USE OF NOTES: We learned that it wasn't a rhythmic scanning of the audience, but speaking to one person for a moment or two, then moving on to another and another. Bill Clinton eventually mastered this "fireside chat" technique. It is the most effective(in my view) form of public speaking. I recently spoke to the University of Texas Board of Regents in this manner, shaming them, reasoning with them about this ultra-rich university system taking control of a much-needed public park in the poorest city in the United States.

This is a small sample of the tiny bit of, yes, "education," we did receive from the WTBS. No, reading the Watchtower and Awake! was no replacement for an actual education. That's total foolishness.

• stillin
    stillin

I use the skills that I learned from the TMS also. I also overcame my fear of speaking to a group because I felt that I had something worth sharing. It went from that to realizing that I am a worthwhile person, and I do bring something to the table. All I need to do is to think before I speak, work up something coherent and, BAM! I'm speaking to a group of people.

It's a dubious heritage, but it's mine.

• Giordano
    Giordano

In the late 50's early 60's absolutely no encouragement to graduate HS and get some higher learning. You pioneered or went to Bethel. Even getting a job was preferable to college.

i chose pioneering then went where the need was great. In the small NW PA congregation I became the Ministry School Servant, the Assn't Presiding Minister and for a short while the Bible Study Servant. I gave my one hour public talk all over our circuit and beyond.

However I educated myself by reading as there was no substance in anything related to the Watchtower publications. It was a mess back then and apparently even worse now.

But in all honesty....... I got nothing from being a JW. I was out by the age of 23.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

All of us acquired an undeniable skill set we need not unlearn

I didn't

• baker
    baker

reminds me of when our house burned down, we went thru it to salvage as much as we could, but as we looked at it all, it brought back good memories, but it was better to just bulldoze it all and start over...

• TMS
    TMS

Yes, stillin, a "dubious heritage." When I used the word "heritage" I was mindful of the 1967 black and white Watchtower aimed at young people. Circuit Overseers had the film for about a year and then it was sort of available to the congregations if you went through the hoops to get it. Longtime District Overseer Eugene Brandt's wife Blossom also used the word "heritage" in her life story published in the Watchtower. I recall at the time nearly gagging over her word choice.

Girodono, you got "nothing" from being a JW? I respect that viewpoint too. You had the good sense, "fortune" to get out at 23. How can I not envy you for that as I wasted a half century or more in the cult, then spent a dozen more years reliving my life in dreams.

My wife and I compounded, extended the misery, by exposing our now 44 year old son to the same limitations, hindrances and stifling of his potential.

• TMS
    TMS

Ucantnome, it was presumptuous of me to speak for "all of us."

baker, whenever I'm tempted to bulldoze things over, I realize that I'm an ex-JW. I was actually raised as one and can't change my history, early training and influences. What I've tried to consciously discard is the judgementalism, the silly beliefs, prophetic types and other bullshit, the concept of "Almighty God Jehovah," that Prince referred to at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ceremony.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

As far as what it was like for JW kids in the past, you really summed it all up really well. I too often wonder if I did this well after growing up in a Cult-like religion, where would I'd be if I had spent as much time in activities that would have not only have given me more employment choices but also made me a more rounded person and would have enriched my life.

My twenty something son is almost done with his Degree but laments at how behind he is experience wise as well as socially compared to his contemporaries and my wife and I feel badly for not having awakened long before we did and possibly sparing him this problem.

Like any of the experiences we have in life we can extract good and bad aspects from them and make the best of things....play the had your dealt.  Even those in Nazi concentration camps must have come away from the experience with some skill that would give them an edge in the rest of their life. (strength, endurance, appreciation etc) . Even so, there are plenty of better and more pleasant ways for them to have acquired those particular skill and for us to have acquired the ones we may have gotten from being JW's.

As a former JW, you can choose to regret your past and lament the lost time or look for the positive aspects about your experience and play them up in your current life. With both of those choices, you are still a former JW but with one of them you get to feel a whole lot better about things.

• millie210
    millie210

I loved your title and first post TMS.

One trap I think it is easy to fall in to is "if not for this, than I could have/would have______ " (fill in blank with an idealized situation).

The fact is, the world is full of people who never reach their potential, get that degree, make their first million, travel the world etc.

One of the things I have said to myself is who is to say that I would have done XYZ if only I was not a withess?

I have many worldly family members who are living the average life. Religion didnt stunt them, they just are where they are.

It really helps me not to feel bitter about the wasted years as a JW.

I also learned a solid skill set as to how to talk to anyone about anything and I know more about ancient Jewish history than I suspect I will ever need! LOL

So I embrace where I came from and what I can carry forward now that I have left the JWs behind (which is my end goal....leave them far and permanently behind) I have met many wonderful, sincere people and carry those memories with me also.

I remember reading a fascinating paper on the process of intuition that talked about how people who had grown up on the streets of Calcutta tested amazingly high in intuitive skills. The conclusion was that living in a state of adversity had helped them hone intuitive skills as a matter of successful survival. 

Not everyones situation is that dire but it illustrates the fact that good (or shall we say useful?) can come from bad.

I am in a long slow fade in part because I have a business that employs some JWs and neither they nor I want to damage what we see as a good thing we have going employer/employee wise.

That gives me even more reason to adopt a philosophical mindset that embodies grace and gentle, humorous acceptance of all that has gone before.

I am not quite there but I will be, because that is my goal.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

I learned to tolerate lots of boredom at the meetings.

I've since unlearned that skill.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit