Video about boy to not play violin?

by Crazyguy 16 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

It looks to me as though they are saying don't play at a higher level because your then in competition? So if I'm correct what if any bible scriptures can be used to back up this anti competitive idea and are there other scriptures showing the opposite?

• rebelfighter
    rebelfighter

Not a JW. I have seen that video, I think the 2 points to that video are he will be associating with worldly thus bad associations and also taking away from the much needed time of serving Jehovah aka GB.

This is precisely why their music they produce is on the scale of high school level because no one has seriously studied music. OH, that is right that would be in one of those after school extra curriculum programs. Bad associations.

Rant over.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Bad association is the key issue.

If JW kids socialize at after school events with "worldly" kids, they may become friends and they may find out that those "worldly" kids are just as good as their JW friends. Maybe better.

You know the GB cannot tolerate anyone having "worldly" friends or they might not be so scared when threatened with total shunning if DFd.

Let's review: It's a cult!

Doc

• careful
    careful

I knew brothers who had formal music education beyond the high school level, one who is surely still in, so I suspect it is indeed as the above two posters take it: worldly association is the threat.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Just like the movie "the Village" or "the Giver", by promoting a fear of outsiders, and making it seem dangerous to mix with anyone not "inside", they keep an ignorant and captive audience!

• oppostate
    oppostate

Then again they have the gall to call for volunteers who have musical training or play professionally to come to the Branch, practice the lame songs and make recordings, oh, and travel back and forth to NY at your own expense. Good grief!

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Yes oppostate!

Just like they want all University trained professionals such as Doctors, Dentists, Lawyers, Accountants, Engineers, etc etc to donate their time and skillset....Yet they demonise the very mechanisms that provided that training: Higher Education!

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Those violin playing kids ARE pretty dodgy. You should have seen how much pizza they put away at music camp!

• possum
    possum

WT claim to be 'bible students'

How can you become skilled if you don't work hard at acquiring skills?

Proverbs22.29
    See you a man diligent in his business? he shall stand before kings; he shall not stand before obscure men.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

They've also always had a thing about competition, not wanting to stir up a "competitive spirit."

This extended from sports, professional and recreational, all the way to the playing of chess.

Yes, really.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit