Russell's followers in British Columbia?

by dubstepped 23 Replies latest jw friends

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

So I was interviewing a guy for a podcast episode today and he went and saw his grandmother over Christmas to gather some history. He wasn't raised a JW but it turns out his family was actually opposed to the JWs because they went all the way back to Russell. According to him (from her stories), they refused to follow Rutherford and that's where the split took place. But before that he said that Russell's followers had photos of him in their homes (kinda culty) and that many sold their earthly possessions and lived in some commune in British Columbia.

Anybody else heard of this? I'm trying to research this commune or whatever it may have been. Sounds interesting, and admittedly the history of all of this still escapes me on many levels I'm sure, things I just don't know.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

According to him (from her stories), they refused to follow Rutherford and that's where the split took place.

Yes that's true, some of the IBSA wouldn't support Rutherford when he took over the WTS, he started to change and create new doctrines as soon as he took over, which a segment of the IBSA didn't approve so there was a sort of a schism that divided the organization.

As to the IBSA being in British Columbia , my province that also is true and they were somewhat connected to the Freemasons as well.

• vienne
    vienne

Sounds like the Elijah Voice Society. I think they were also called Stand Fast Society.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The Stand Fast Bible Students ­Association The Stand Fasters get their name from their determination to “stand fast on war principles that our dear Pastor Russell announced.” Charles E. Heard of Vancouver and many others felt that Rutherford’s recommendation in 1918 to buy war bonds was cowardice and a sacrilegious perversion of the harvest work. Feeling that Christians should not support the military in any way, including the buying of Liberty Bonds or involvement in non-combatant service, the Stand Fast Bible Students Association was organized on December 1, 1918, in Portland, Oregon. It published Old Corn Gems and organized conventions throughout the United States. The Stand Fasters accepted the seventh volume and were quite successful, especially among those who did not accept what they saw as compromises over the war issue.

• hoser
    hoser

There were a group of Russelites in a rural area I used to live in (Canada also). I’m sure they are all dead by now as most were elderly 30 years ago. They were nice to us jws when we called on them in service.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

Yes, I have heard of the StandFasters. What I would be interested in is the details of the commune they created in BC. Where exactly was it, how long did it last, what was the economics of it, etc.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I think many of us would be interested to know more about this!

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

Thank you Vienne (Vienne's daughter, right?). That gives me something to look up.

I might see if his grandmother would be up for an interview. It's not really the subject of my podcast per se, but it might be really fascinating.

• dubstepped
  • joe134cd
    joe134cd

Please post the interview here. I’m certainly interested in listening to it.

Although not dealing specifically with the StandFasters you may find this beneficial as back ground.

https://youtu.be/cuZMD4Uzn7M

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit