Do you believe?

by rolliepollie 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• rolliepollie
    rolliepollie

Do you believe in a higher power?

Why or why not?

• cofty
    cofty

Hello rolliepollie, welcome to the forum.

I see no evidence of any sort of deity.

1 - The history of life on earth could not be better designed to maximise suffering.

2 - 'Natural evil' makes it utterly impossible that a loving and powerful god exists.

3 - If a deity exists he has taken great pains to remain completely hidden.

4 - There is nothing about the physical world that can't be better explained without resorting to the supernatural .

• stillin
    stillin

There appears to be something greater than us at work. Things seem too well designed to say that it all just happened by chance. But it seems that once things got up and running, it all just went into auto-pilot mode and there were some flaws in the design.

oh, and good to have you here, Rollie.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

Welcome to the group trollie poly

• waton
    waton

There is something higher, beyond our understanding (we are always learning) definitely more powerful, think in HP. more creative. There is something artistic, mathematical about the universe. It is hard to create things, and there is without doubt either creation or eternal existence of at least time and energy. There might be even one or two unmistakeable (or not) personal experiences. But existence is competitive, formative.

welcome rolliepolie, let us hear what you think and why. develop a waist line.

• john.prestor
    john.prestor

No, I don't. Never found a good reason tool and I looked a long time.

• WillYouDFme
    WillYouDFme

No not any more. There is 0 evidence. All anyone can point to is just feelings, or not knowing how anything could have started.

But if there is a higher power, he is a sadistic a-hole.

• rolliepollie
    rolliepollie
    I would agree that there is no evidence but I'm open to the possibility.
  • Phizzy
    Phizzy

Hi rolliepolie, and welcome,

I think you will find the majority of Atheists and Rationalists are open to the possibility. But I think they, like me, will demand a Mountain of Proof. And the facts and evidence making up that proof would have to be able to be scrutinized in the most rigorous way. Such proof would also, necessarily, have to counter all the proof against a higher power.

To simply believe something, meaning accepting it as true without real testable evidence, is a mugs game, you are open to accepting any delusion, and to becoming subject to ( a slave to) those promulgating the belief/s.

I was lied to and led astray by the JW Org for too many decades to fall for anything like that again. True Freedom of Mind only comes from leading an evidence based life.

• john.prestor
    john.prestor

I'm with Phizzy on this one, once someone fools you it's harder for someone else to fool you later on. They made us empty promises, beat us down emotionally, people talk about that a lot on this forum and rightly so, the Elders making them feel like they never did enough for Jehovah's "one true organization," worrying they would die a horrible death at Armageddon, feeling guilty or ashamed for minor "sins" or doubting the Governing Body. In my case the Baptist pastor I heard for years did the same kind of thing just with different promises, instead of Armageddon he always told us Jesus would come back from heaven any day now and rapture us with the sound of a trumpet and an archangel's call, he shamed us for thinking lustful thoughts, told us we wouldn't get into heaven if we fucked before marriage.

Here's what it comes down to: fooled me once, shame on you. Fooled me twice, shame on me. And in the words of the Who, "[I] won't get fooled again."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit