What is REALLY behind the destruction of the Postal Service? I decided to research it ...

by Terry 22 Replies latest jw friends

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

I worked for the USPS for over 15 years, and I can say from personal observation that it is poorly managed. Some good people, but a lot of bad ones. They are doing a pretty good job of destroying themselves, without the added assistance of politics.

• LV101
    LV101

I knew an ex JW who worked at the postal service. She caught a couple of employees stealing money out of envelopes and grabbing what they wanted in packages - this was around 2001 - 2003. She'd been promoted and was much higher up than the thieves she worked with. Afraid to report but once she did it was scary - her life was threatened - the police had to protect her. It was an absolute horror story.

• Gorbatchov
    Gorbatchov

Great analyse, Terry.

My opinion is that public services have to be restored.

G.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

I also had to report illegal activity to the Inspection Service. In this case the managers were involved as well. They were fired eventually, but it took two years. I quit there largely because of retaliation.

• Terry
    Terry

Employees who are not subject to performance evaluations regularly and whose continued employment hinges on effective, efficient, competence ...well - that says it all, doesn't it?
    Bureaucracy seems to attract the opposite: people who don't care.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

There are a number of Public Services that quite obviously cannot be run on Capitalist, profit making, lines. As I said earlier I think, the Postal Service is one, Public Transport is another, the Police Service, the Health Service, I could go on and on.

The point is that these Services DO "make a profit", but in hidden ways that do not show up on a conventional Balance Sheet. Just think, a healthier population will produce more, and pay more Tax, reducing Crime reduces Costs, and more Tax flows in, if people pay less to get to work, they spend more and the Economy booms, a fully functioning Postal Service means businesses work at greater efficiency and therefore pay more Tax. And so on.

A basic grasp of Economics like this shows you where the current Model has failed, and will continue to do so.

As many a Meme says " Change my Mind".

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Satan is doing it. Stops the letter writing witnesses. Honest, from a sister

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

While your opening post if full of truths, why are you avoiding the current situation where Bozo put another clown in charge and they are sabotaging whatever functionality is left of the post office?

A jealousy thing about a billionaire owning a newspaper and wanting to muck it up over the election.

• Terry
    Terry
    OnTheWayOut2 days ago

While your opening post if full of truths, why are you avoiding the current situation where Bozo put another clown in charge and they are sabotaging whatever functionality is left of the post office?

______

In my opening statement:
    "The USPS Board of Directors has been PACKED with --ready? UPS cronies! (United Parcel Service). This took place by appointments by the President APPROVED by the Senate."
    ____

Trump has been toady to his advisors. The advice is corrupt.
    MY POINT was that the Democrats pretend to decry these things while approving of them ...until ...they can use it to club Trump and pin it ALL on him.

A pox on all their houses, IMHO.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

I hear the "the USPS is forced to pre-fund their retirement" argument all the time. The fact is that EVERY business in the US since Enron has been forced to pre-fund their retirement. The result is that employers now have more honest retirement benefits because they HAVE TO. It's why we now have primarily third party 401K.

You can't just promise what you can't pay in the future. Why, it's pretty darn dishonest to take the retirement funds you promise your employees and re-invest them in your own (failing) business model. Actually, if you look at the numbers, the USPS is now paying more in retirement than salary even though they haven't even fully funded their prerequisite retirement fund. So basically USPS is paying for today's retirees and for tomorrow retiree's because 30 years ago they DIDN'T pay for today's retirees, they just took the money and ran the post office to the ground. If the USPS went bust today, you'd have about 20 years worth of people that won't get their retirement funds at all because the funds aren't there.

The USPS is failing because they are still controlled by government, they have to provide services that aren't profitable and their unions suck them dry through Cadillac insurance and pension benefits. Every President changes the leadership, that's not news, during Obama, it was full of Obama cronies that used the USPS to enrich themselves and report on Republican and religious organizations, who allowed Amazon to get a sweetheart deal from the USPS so Amazon has effectively been subsidized by the USPS? Obama.

If they were able to have an independent leadership, based on merits, not on politics and tune their pension and other employment benefits to match their courier services, they'd be a lot better off.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit