Points From the December Study Watchtower

by The Fall Guy 16 Replies latest watchtower bible

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

"To young JW Lurkers:..look around at some older people in the Hall who are still working (crappy physical labor) when non-Witness people their same age are retired. If you listen to foolish talk and don’t get higher education/career training, this could be YOU someday."

LongHairGal: You are spot on! We are watching our ageing family members go through just this. They are working physically strenuous jobs in the 60's and 70's . They did the good little JW thing (pioneered) in their youth and are now paying the price and struggling financially.

This stuff just pisses us off when we continue to see WT spew this same drivel to the next generation. Kids lurking on here, DON'T BUY IT!!!

I am so glad you did not listen to the drivel. Good for you! We didn't either and are in a pretty good situation today. We just have to ramp up saving for retirement.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Denying, or condemning higher education is a crime against the youth!

How dare a group of 8 old men cause the desire to be educated to be a guilt inducing sin!

Where would the world be without well educated professionals!?

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

TOES UP & STUCKINARUT2:

Hopefully, this and other forums for ex-JWs will enlighten any Lurkers (both young and old) about what the realities in the World are about making a living.

I can only hope that fewer JWs fall for the garbage and GET themselves educated so that they can eat and pay bills.

I also do realize that some JWs are lazy and don’t want to bother getting an education and the JW religion’s advice against education fits in with their lazy mindset.. I know of somebody like this. When he was in his 20s he said to me that “hopefully Armageddon will come and it won’t matter...”. Well, he’s about 45 years old now and doing several shit jobs worthy of a teenager - to barely scrape by. Let’s not even discuss retirement.

Hopefully a realistic picture of the situation has been painted and Lurkers can take the advice or leave it.

• Sigfrid Mallozzi
    Sigfrid Mallozzi
    Page 19, par.1 - "Teachers, guidance counselors, or others may have encouraged you to pursue higher education and a lucrative career. Jehovah, however, advises you to take a different course."

In Watchtower Writings, Jehovah=The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society/aka the present Governing Body. Read a study article about the publisher's disappointment that the end has not yet arrived and substitute WTBTS or Governing Body with all references to "Jehovah" in the article. You will then see, The man behind the curtains has a puppet named Jehovah.

There is obviously "something" about "higher" education that with even a few completed courses unravels or at the least diminishes the strength of a cult upon the human psyche.

Yes, it's a disgrace and a disservice to their followers for Watchtower to repeat such garbage, however, it demonstrates wt's selfishness perhaps awakening some.

I don't believe that the University is the magic bullet or ticket for everyone for everything. If you want to make a living seeking an apprenticeship for a professional trade (Not window cleaning) the Unions and others give the opportunity usually with a four-year program. Currently, with the economy as it is, there is a great demand for skilled tradesmen (skills more advanced than residential work (similar to what is used at Quick Builds.) Union members have a livable wage, a retirement pension, and health care insurance as their employer pays for these benefits per each hour worked. There are many roads, I just use this to illustrate.

The Federalist has an article, (http://thefederalist.com/2013/09/23/six-lies-most-people-believe-about-u-s-schools/) Six Lies that Most People Believe about U.S. Schools which I thought was interesting. Joy Pullmann says, Quote:

Lie 6: Practically everyone should go to college

This foolhardy demand rests on the false premise that the point of an education is job preparation. But any good education will treat a student as a whole person and not merely an economic unit. This is particularly important because the U.S. education system exists to undergird our unusual form of government: self-rule.

Nowadays, however, we hear nothing about citizenship, the public purpose of public education.

Check your state constitution. Mine says public schools exist because “knowledge and learning, generally diffused throughout a community, [are] essential to the preservation of a free government…” Notice it establishes public education to preserve a free government, not to get people the lifestyles they want. As famed economist Milton Friedman writes, vocational education generally does not create enough of a public good to justify direct government subsidy. “The individual is rewarded in a free enterprise society by receiving a higher return for his services than he would otherwise be able to command,” he says, meaning vocational education primarily benefits the individual, so they should pay for their own education. (Friedman also discusses ways for government to facilitate this for poor people without creating perverse incentives). Ultimately, Friedman agrees with the original rationale forAmerica’s public education systems—that they should exist to provide general education for citizenship.

Nowadays, however, we hear nothing about citizenship, the ostensible purpose of public education. Education subsidies seem to have devolved into a mechanism for getting people enough money to make them happy. We hear things like this, from Oklahoma Republican Gov. Mary Fallin, just last week: “It’s clear that a high school degree is no longer adequate to gain a good job and access to the middle-class life.” Public schooling is considered everyone’s birthright to the middle class. But Gov. Fallin is just wrong. Brookings Institution research recently showed that a person’s chance of living in poverty is only 2 percent if he or she merely completes high school, works full time, and marries before creating children.

The past several years have seen a deluge of demands that a high school diploma now qualify all bearers for non-remedial admission to college. The Obama administration has unilaterally required this of all states using No Child Left Behind waivers. This will only further dilute college academics, because everyone is simply not suited for college. As social scientist Charles Murray writes, “The refusal to confront the relationship between intelligence and success in college has produced a cascade of harms–to many students who try to go to college, to those who do not, to the system of higher education, and to the nation as a whole.”

The impetus that unites these lies is that they promote ideas people want to believe. But lies, however pleasant for one’s peace of mind in the short run, damage people. Those who run our schools say they care about children but year after year they continue to perpetuate systems that are demonstrably harmful to our kids. Those damaged kids will one day grow up to be citizens who are ill-prepared to face our nation’s challenges. The future of freedom depends on our willingness to tell hard truths to our entrenched educational interests and demand accountability for their actions.

• Sigfrid Mallozzi
    Sigfrid Mallozzi

I'm sorry, I meant to add that with the religion of Jehovah's Witnesses, that it is not only their discouragement of education but the massive amounts of time demanded by the Organization to demonstrate your loyalty. Time, that for the average person would be used generating income or pursuing a score of other beneficial things in their life for their personal benefit and future wealth.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

They don't mind using brothers or sisters who have obtained a qualification/degree of some sort at HQ or sending bethelites off to further education when it suits them or highlighting some university educated witness or bethelite in the broadcasts or magazines or putting out a call for formerly trained musicians and singers for the choir and music videos etc. They're not making these movies with untrained people that's for sure. And let's not forget the bean counters and legal departments - don't you need higher ed for those jobs.

As usual it's "do as I say not as I do" from the GB.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

its O.K. for these 8 old men who are running this religion who class themselves as the Governing Body ,they don`t work ( as Paul said they should ) they live very comfortably with good food and accommodation fly all around the world etc,

In reality live like kings all at the expense of donations given by gullible J.W.`s

And they tell you not to get higher education so you can live like they are.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit