Reading the Watchtower publications will give you an university education.

by Overrated 17 Replies latest jw friends

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

While much of college is indoctrination, the washtowel rags are even worse. You cannot get much of an education reading the Asleep! rag, even back in its prime. Will you get credentials? Can you actually learn anything meaningful in science through these rags? What about calculus, which is mandatory in college? Or even basic chemistry, also mandatory? And, suppose I were to read them in German and take no other German. Could I get my German to C2 level using just these rags? (Or English, if my primary language was Spanish or something else.) Are these rags anywhere near the literary quality of Shakespeare? I doubt it.

With no practical value, no educational value, and no credentials, I would think the washtowel and asleep rags are worthless. Indoctrination or not, at least college gives you credentials. (Which are just about required for any meaningful jobs.) The Internet, while lacking credentials, does give you education and entertainment opportunities--that is where and how I got most of my German (between German language videos and books in German ordered using the Internet).

• JWTom
    JWTom

@howthebiblewascreated @ funky

To be fair, there is a great deal about human nature, values and in some cases commerce that can be learned from a study of the bible. Also I would agree that in the magazines published from 1950s-1980s there was a great deal of interesting and educational content published that would benefit an average person in building knowledge.

Sadly though, what you need to survive in the world we live in is a well rounded education across many topics that are relevant in holding down a job to pay the bills. What WT offered never provided that.

Double sadly, in the U.S. for many years if you didn't have a piece of paper saying you went to college then you were also black-balled as someone that was not worth hiring for professional roles.

• Mum
    Mum

I know that no one in my previous congregation could score even what an average 8th grader could on the ACT or SAT. I think we should have sample ACT's and SAT's to give them when they come to the door so they can show off their "vast knowledge."

• Overrated
    Overrated

I can't handle most JW'S. Especially the self righteous over the top ones. The ones who looked down at me for pursuing a career and education instead of listening to their advice on pursuing Watchtower interest. I'm much better off because of this. They can sit and spin their invisible sky daddy can help them.

• cha ching
    cha ching

I totally remember ALL of that. I remember. In 1969 (i was 14) reading, 'why go to college, you won't be able to finish it before the new world, and even IF you could finish, what good would it do you?' Basically.. that rung in my brain, "should i try? Would i be wasting my time when "I could be saving lives?' How many people did i save? None. A REAL waste of time.

• Harry
    Harry

Yes you can receive a PHD. in human ignorance and delusional irrational thought .

Humanity doesn't need Universities with higher education, the Watchtower is all we need to survive, take this recent virus plague for example.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

Maybe like a degree in multicultural studies.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

I remember an elder in my congregation who would hone in on some "special word" and use it in a sentence that just didn`t make sense, no doubt he thought he was getting a college education.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit