Reading the Watchtower publications will give you an university education.

by Overrated 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Overrated
    Overrated

The Watchtower said that reading their stuff would get you a college education. Can anyone recall that gem? My parents sure bought into that crap. What and education in Bullshit to be a professional clown. Like Stephen Lett.

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

They've been saying that since 1914. In the intro to the Photo Drama, Russell says on camera that 'it has been said that watching the four parts is more beneficial than a year in college'.

That's another line they've been using ever since as well, saying 'it has been said' or that something 'has been defined as', followed by something only they would say, but making it sound as if taken from objective sources.

• waton
    waton

yeah, that would be the "University of Hard Knocks", learning the hard way that you have been had.

• Rivergang
    Rivergang

Either that or a Diploma in Idiocy from Tasmania's University of Lower Crackpot.

• alanv
    alanv

I think the point they were trying to make was that reading the bible and their publications were better for you than a college education

• HowTheBibleWasCreated
    HowTheBibleWasCreated

To be honest the Awakes from the 50s 60s and 70s were full of practical info. But in the 80s they lost that slowly and now the magazines are a joke.

• mickbobcat
    mickbobcat

Yes I remember my Uncle saying that at a meeting. He was an elder and had heard it at some elder thing. It makes the mind numb feel better about being in a cult. They wold also say scientists and other educated people would write in telling them how accurate and educational their articles in the Awake were. Now I know it was all bull shit lies.

• Funky
    Funky
    To be honest the Awakes from the 50s 60s and 70s were full of practical info. But in the 80s they lost that slowly and now the magazines are a joke.

I'll echo that - the older magazines, when they stayed away from JW doctrine, were at least occasionally interesting.

Now of course the Awake is published 3 times a year, 16 pages, including the front & back cover. Most articles are just bullet-pointed lists with prominent large-font scripture quotations and 2 inch margins.

I.e., the amount of content of the Awake magazine has literally declined by about 98% from just 15 years ago.

• minimus
    minimus

When you look back at the gems found in Watchtower publications, if you believed everything that was written which every JW is expected to do, you would be fairly labeled a “ moron”.

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

Why, yes!!!!! If by "education" you mean a:

Masters degree in Janitorial Engineering with a minor in the Custodial Arts!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit