The coup against Tony Morris in order to make major changes?

by Badfish 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Badfish
    Badfish

It’s been a long time since I’ve kept up with anything JW-related. But just a couple days ago, I heard about all the new changes—beards, shunning, etc. I was surprised, so I asked an old friend who I hadn’t spoken to in ages what happened.

He told me that Anthony Morris was removed from the GB. He said that Morris was a hardliner who had pretty much taken control of the entire organization for years. And that the GB had been wanting to make changes for many years, but old Tony would veto them at every turn.

But recently, the rest of the GB conspired against Tony and performed a coup. My friend said that just before Morris was removed, he had announced to everyone that “the Governing Body is coming under Satan’s control” and said something about them becoming the “Evil Slave.”

Is there any truth to this? Or is this just exaggerated by the telephone game? What happened to ol’ Tight-Pants Tony?

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

You've heard a lot more than most. We know that he is no longer on the GB, and that it appears the WTS set him up with a home in North Carolina. I hadn't heard anything about him controlling the GB and finally being removed. He certainly hasn't said anything. He's gone from Tight-Pants Tony to Tight-Lipped Tony. The WTS had put up a short note on the JW website that only said that "Brother" Morris was no longer a member of the GB, then they took it down shortly after, and that is the last that they have said about it.

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

If you put 2+2 together. That scenario sounds very plausible. No coincidence that shortly after he's gone we see these major liberal changes

• Halcon
    Halcon

Tony's excursions to the local ABC stores really were 'heaven sent', IF the rest of the GB was looking for a way to oust him.

• Badfish
    Badfish
    We know that he is no longer on the GB, and that it appears the WTS set him up with a home in North Carolina.

Yes, apparently they found a way to get rid of him, gave him a nice place to retire and some hush money. He signed some non-discloser agreements so we won’t be hearing anything more from him.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Don’t kid yourself.

It’s no Golden Parachute.

More of an exile, actually.

And from what some alleged sources have claimed, he was merely trying to slow down the reforms, rather than stop ‘em altogether.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Interesting… Well, I’m sure some high level Jew knows the real story.

DD

• Walter
    Walter
    the GB had been wanting to make changes for many years, but old Tony would veto them at every turn.

If 8 GB members are pro beards and 1 member is against, last month 's announcement would not have been possible??

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

The way I understood that the G.B worked was a two-thirds majority was sufficient to carry a motion ?

But that does not preclude the idea that one G.B member by being forceful may not have held back some of the stuff they wanted to do.

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

At their age, herd and losch are just along for the ride and are going to take the path of least resistance. So they would be on Tony's side for the status quo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit