Things you didn't expect to like...

by sparrowdown 21 Replies latest jw friends

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Stuff you never expected you would do or enjoy doing as a non-witness...

Researching - always thought I hated study and reading turns out it was just WT literature I hated studying and reading

Having political opinions and just having opinons and beliefs that are not set in stone and that I am free to assess, review and adjust as I become more aware of imformation

Droping the f-bomb every now and again to make a point feels surprisingly good but that may just be post-religious rebellion that wears off... eventually

Horror movies (go figure)

• stillin
    stillin

Right there with you, sparrow. I find that I can agree with parts of other people's opinions and disagree with other parts. As a Witness we had the arrogance to feel that even when they said something correct, it was a fluke. Actual, productive discourse is refreshing!

I also reacquainted myself with the use of expletives. I need to be careful, though. After a point it's just too much.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

I'm not with you. I loved all those things since way before.

I cannot speak for all the born-ins, but as a born-in, it was never my choice not to like those topics. I was always told not to, and I just didn't listen. I remember at 14 in high school (yes, I was already in high school at 14) talking about politics and voting and social issues with my friends in school (and some of them not liking it at all).

Part of my journey out of the JWs was precisely reclaiming my right to want and like what I choose to like and want.

I guess I was never meant to be a JW.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW
    I remember at 14 in high school (yes, I was already in high school at 14)

What's so unusual about being in HS at 14, that's the age I started HS also and graduated at 17, is that not the norm anymore (reason being for me by birthday is at the end of the year in December)

• DissedbyE
    DissedbyE

Hi, my very first post. A milestone for me.

Just watched Rachel Maddow's segment on Rod Rosenstein's refusal to be extorted by GOP Trump Allies in Congress. Had to watch it 2 times. Notably for being acquainted with Robert H. Jackson whose quote is paramount for all ensnared by religious sects.

"Our forefathers found the evils of free thinking more to be endured than the evils of inquest or suppression. This because thoughtful, bold and independent minds are essential to wide and considered self-government."

Jackson was talking about politics in his speech but it is imperative that each individual should have a thoughtful, bold and independent mind. That is not how GB thinks the sheeple should be like but voiceless sheep confined in their rigid mind lock.

That is why your topic touched a chord in me. I know it is not what you have in mind. But I truly missed the opportunity to read far and wide. Elders always poured scorn on me when I mentioned that I read books about Abraham Lincoln, Steve Jobs, Albert Einstein etc. Adding Robert Jackson to my list.

Silly to spend so much time pouring over the Society's literature and nothing else. That could explain the hollow empty lives of JWs whose only purpose in life is to hassle everyone they meet with their mind numbing message.

mind-numbing : so extreme or intense as to prevent normal thought.

Now, livin la vida loca

Cheers

Kay

• DissedbyE
    DissedbyE

Going off topic, I'm afraid. My very first post. Just needed to get it off my chest.Thanks for letting me rant in your space.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010
    What's so unusual about being in HS at 14, that's the age I started HS also and graduated at 17, is that not the norm anymore (reason being for me by birthday is at the end of the year in December)

In my locality it wasn't. And that was not when I started HS. I started HS at 13, I was in 11th grade at 14. Graduated at 16.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Being able to actually enjoy worshiping the sun and give joke-hova a slap in the face.

• DissedbyE
    DissedbyE

Well, I like being able to think freely. To think for myself instead of being told what to think. It's so liberating.

• stillin
    stillin

On a side note, welcome, Dissed!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit