Was Jesus the Messiah circumcised ?

by smiddy3 28 Replies latest watchtower bible

• TD
    TD

ALL genital mutilation of babies is barbaric and backward.

^^^This^^^

The procedure destroys a huge amount of nerve endings, which is not something most males would voluntarily submit to if given a choice.

Even were that not the case, the procedure is intensely painful for days afterwards, which can be measured via stress hormones in the blood

Anybody who would subject a male infant to this for aesthetic or religious reasons needs to do some soul searching.

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

Circumcision is not genital mutilation. It's fixing something that Jesus left off of the final design plans. Jesus made alot of mistakes in creation. That's why Jehovah had to take over and fix things.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

The question in the Title of the thread is not accurate, but that may be deliberate, in no way was Jesus of Nazareth a Messiah.

The Historical Jesus, if he existed, would have been circumcised. Of course.

But the other questions raised are valid if you believe the nonsense, the Mythology, about Yeshua of Nazareth.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

in no way was Jesus of Nazareth a Messiah.

That’s not the subject. Obviously all Jewish males needed to be circumcised but given that Jesus was the Messiah as described in the CHS aka NT, being the son of God and perfect, etc, is there anything on the NT that we can conclude that JC was circumcised. In this topic it is immaterial whether or not what the Bible days about him is true.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

Hmmm... if Jesus was God incarnate, I'm not sure I'd want to be known as the guy who snipped the tip of His dick off. Maybe the foreskin shriveled and dropped off eight days after He was born.

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

" being the son of God and perfect, etc, is there anything on the NT that we can conclude that JC was circumcised"

The parents didn't know that. So they just followed the law like everyone else did. And Luke 2:21 "After eight days, when it was time to circumcise him, he was named Jesus, the name given by the angel before he was conceived"

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Of course many if not most cultures of the near east practiced circumcision. The odd ones were the Philistines who best evidence suggests migrated to Palestine from across the Mediterranean. Its suggested the practice comes from Africa and was spread in part by Egypt's hegemony over the region. It has religious symbolism to most all who practiced it not hygienic. In the Jewish writer's mind it was symbolic castration reminding the Jews that Abraham's fertility was by divine intervention. The grossest part of the practice was the sucking. Yes, I did not make that up. The Mishnah insists sucking on the infant's penis is a protective medical measure. Mohels who didn't do this were removed because of child endangerment. Of course this was in fact a terrible practice that spread disease. Please don't accuse me of anything vulgar, it is a fact.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Was Jesus the Messiah circumcised ?

I'd answer by saying that we need to prove he even existed before going to question his winkie.

Many start off with the premise that he existed.

He didn't write any books of the Bible (that was bunged together by some geezers who did a bit of an 'eenie meenie miny mo' for this).

There is absolutely no evidence of his existing outside of the Bible.

I know this character was supposed to be walking mysteriously and shizz, but come on.

The nearest are vagaries that can be crowbarred into the fiction.

Yep! First, prove this geezer existed outside of the Bible. I'll give a hint. No one can. It's all made up!

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

This canard about the 8th day presaging medical knowledge of vitamin k and clotting agents is the brain child of some religious apologist years ago. Now, It's not hard to believe that after watching hundreds of babies bleeding badly they found that waiting a week was best, however the real reason was so that they would have experienced a Sabbath and made them partners to the pact with Yahweh. In this they were similar to animals dedicated to Yahweh. They had to be 8 days old.

Lev 22:27

When an ox or a sheep or a goat is born, it shall remain under its mother for seven days, and from the eighth day onwards, it shall be accepted as a sacrifice for a fire offering to the Lord.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit