Height of mountains before and after the flood .

by smiddy3 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

It was stated many years ago in answer to how did the flood cover the top of all the mountains on earth in Noah`s day.?

eg. Mount Everest ?

And it was explained away by saying that the mountains before the flood were a lot smaller / lower than the mountains that exist today.

So there was no problem .

When the deluge began with so much volume of water now covering the earth ( water being heavy ) pushed down into the weakest parts of the earth and raised up in other parts of the earth to where we now have higher mountains than existed before the flood of noah`s day.

In other words mount everest didn`t exist at its present height before the flood and neither did any other high mountain that exists today ,the topography all changed with the Noachian flood. .

According to JW /WT theology ,back then ,I wonder if they still subscribe to this reasoning. ?

Does anybody remember those days ?

• Funky
    Funky

Yes, I remember - it's another one of those "incredibly embarrassing, but we don't have any better ideas, and we certainly can't admit we were wrong, so let's just not mention it anymore and hope no one notices" doctrines.

In the same category:

-- Creative days were exactly 7000 years in length

-- All plant and animal life began less than 20,000 years ago

-- Frozen mammoth carcasses are "proof" of a global flood

-- 20 billion people will be resurrected, and with no deserts everybody will have [x - can't recall the number] acres / hectares of room in the "new world".

• notsurewheretogo
    notsurewheretogo

It was 100 billion coming back in the Reasoning book was it not? But given each passing year where the amount of deaths rises as population booms it will be a lot more?

Always amuses me that the dubs ignore evolution yet must believe in a super evolution to go from 2300 BC at the flood of Noah with very limited species to the abundant life we now have only 4,000 years later after flood!

Evolution just sped up in the years but then evolution is not true.

Go figure.

• Funky
    Funky

Actually, here is the quote from the Insight Book:

Resurrection During 1,000 Years. The exact number of humans who have ever lived is unknown to humans. However, by way of illustration, if Jehovah resurrects 20 billion (20,000,000,000) people, there would be no problem as to living space and food for them. The land surface of the earth at present is about 148,000,000 sq km (57,000,000 sq mi), or about 14,800,000,000 ha (36,500,000,000 acres). Even allowing half of that to be set aside for other uses, there would be more than a third of a hectare (almost 1 acre) for each person.

This was written in the late 80's so yes, the number of "dead resurrected ones" scheduled to come back has grown in the intervening 30+ years.

I don't know where they got the 20 billion from.

• RickJones
    RickJones

So mount Everest became a low elevation mountain to a height of 29,029 ft in just over 2000 years.

I think some professional geologists would like make a comment about that.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Sure, the weight pushed the continental plates together. Dont for get the rushing water carving the grand canyon.

Someone at the zoomeeting (my new word) just mentioned opening the ark door into a beautiful world--not my experience with floods . And how did they get that olive tree to grow so fast?

I have heard people lament that there will be no more saguaro cacti.

• EverApostate
    EverApostate

Ok, lets agree that Mt Everest was just as tall as the Statue of Liberty during Noahs flood.

But, why do mountains grow. Why tectonic plates shift and create earthquakes.

• Simon
    Simon

Even very young kids can tell the flood story is BS. The first time you see a map of the world, you notice how the continents fit together. The fact that we can now map the sea-bed and see, for instance, that India has smashed into Asia and "crumpled" up the mountains as a result is just confirmation of the obvious.

• lriddle80
    lriddle80

I think the flood story is like most of the Bible. It's a bunch of stories trying to say the same thing. Destruction is coming and there's a way of escape. And it probably won't be Elon Musk getting us to all live on Mars, just saying...

• waton
    waton

Everest is still pushing up, no hydraulic pressure required. 40 days of rain to cover newly rising Everest would be 10 meters per hour, covering a 3 story building. rushing downhill. 30 times the record, everywhere, relentlessly. such

Water tears down mountains, not the other way around, it also floats flood debris, trees, bloated animals.

Jesus said the end will be like that, a profound statement. It is an impossible tale.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit