Just sittin' and mindin' my own business...

by Distracted 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Distracted
    Distracted

I was sitting at a local city event enjoying watching an activity. A friendly looking woman dressed in blue jeans and a floppy hippy looking top came and sat down besides me. She notices I am sketching and says she likes to do this too. She was so nice and humble seeming I did something I never do. I gave her my name and phone number in case she wanted to do some urban sketching with a local group I belong to.

Then she abruptly gives me a business card and tells me she gives free bible study lessons with her phone number on it. Sure enough it had JW.org on it. A few seconds later she was gone.

I felt sort of used. I know they used to call that incidental witnessing or informal, who knows what they are calling it now. It bothers me for a several reasons. First she pretended to be interested in something that I doubt now that she has any true interest in, to start a conversation. Dishonest. Soon as she got my contact info, she launches into her real reason for talking to me. Third, it distracted me from enjoying the event, and fourth, she made no effort at all in discussing any useful topic or conversing with me further. It was as shallow as it could get. I remember when I was a JW, I did try to bring up something interesting. Is this the way Witnesses roll now?

I felt so depressed I got up and left. On my way out, I spotted formally dressed Witnesses with a lit cart at one of the entrances. At least that is honest.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

I felt so depressed I got up and left. On my way out, I spotted formally dressed Witnesses with a lit cart at one of the entrances. At least that is honest.

Keep the card with you. She will be back. When you see her again, return the card and tell her your equivalent of "shove it up your ass".

• tepidpoultry
  • steve2
    steve2

Tepidpoultry, the photo shows casually dressed people by the literature stands - are they JWs? If so, very surprised by casual attire. Yet JW organization would never allow JWs to dress so casually going door-to-door - no matter how low-brow he neighborhood.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Hello, Distracted:

Sorry about that! I can relate to the spoiling of a mood. While specific to another type of joy killer, I did think of this quotation of Ovid:

“A new idea is delicate. It can be killed by a sneer or a yawn; it can be stabbed to death by a quip and worried to death by a frown on the right man's brow.”

• berrygerry
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

JWS have been known to be devious , look where they get their training from, a devious corrupt publishing house.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Then she abruptly gives me a business card and

tells me she gives free bible study lessons

So she lied to you besides.

JW`s don`t study anything except WBT$ Literature.

It`s a WBT$/JW "Bait and Switch" con game.

BAIT: Offer a Bible Study...

Switch: Study WBT$ Literature about the Bible.

Image result for bait and switch

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Thier attempts at recruiting are so delusional. I mean who in there right mind is going to want to respond to that kind of tactic! WTF, these people are just plain crazy!!!'

• Island Man
    Island Man

Call the number on the card she left you and tell her how you feel about what she did.

"I'm calling to let you know that after our meeting today I felt sort of used. First you pretended to be interested in something that I doubt now that you have any true interest in, to start a conversation. Dishonest. Soon as you got my contact info, you launched into your real reason for talking to me. Third, it distracted me from enjoying the event, and fourth, you made no effort at all in discussing any useful topic or conversing with me further. It was as shallow as it could get."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit