A Teenager Ran Away From Home to Get Away From the Witnesses ... in 1909

by Wild_Thing 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

Okay .... I guess technically they weren't Witnesses yet; they were just Russellites. But I still think it is funny that teenagers were heading for the hills to run away from their nonsense ... even back then!

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Oh wow!

is this for real?

so, "the spokesman of God" couldn't even take care of "his own household" by convincing them of the "truth"?

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    "too much of a hankering after personal liberty."Sounds like it could apply to most of us! I wonder what happened to this guy. I hope he got to get away.
  • ILoveTTATT2
    ILoveTTATT2
    Is this from the Brooklyn Eagle by any chance?
  • John Free
    John Free

Wish I had his courage and non gullible personality type at that young age!

RUN FOR THE HILLS!!!

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing
    Yes, it is from the Brooklyn Eagle! Sorry I forgot to put my source.
  • LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Yeah, too much religion for two lifetimes!...They wanted to put him in reform school because they couldn't control him!

I saw a program on TV some months back about young FLDS girls who want to run away from arranged marriages to older men. If they get caught, they are sent to some sort of detention until they either change their attitude or until the wedding ceremony. Then it's too late.

I hate all these cults and repressive religions.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas
    Is this from every issue of The Brooklyn Eagle or from a particular DATE?
  • breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Tuesday, Nov. 9, 1909, p.11

I must admit, I have a similar "hankering."

• steve2
    steve2

I truly hope that young lad had a long and fulfilled life free from the dark, gloomy shadow of all kinds of end-times religions. He was wise to run away - I just hope he made it safely across the finish line.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit