Is politeness out of style?

by JH 31 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

Many years ago people seemed more polite to woman, by tipping their hats or holding a door open to let them in. Even in busses, men gave their places if a woman was standing.

Does a person look stupid if he is too polite today compared to years ago?

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

I agree, however I think we can attribute this to the deterioration of morals within our society.

People are afraid to be nice for fear of being portrayed as weak and subsequently stepped on.

I know I used to be a much nicer and considerate person, but you can only take being used so many times before you become angry and cynical and form a barrier around yourself so as not to allow things like that to happen again.

• JH
    JH

I think that being slightly rude is "IN". If you are too polite, people think you are weird and stay away from you.

Having good manners seems to be old fashion today. Often I notice people open a door and just let it close in your face even if your just in back of them.

Is this a lack of education or just a way of doing things today?

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

I think this happens to due a combination of factors.

Rudeness being "in" and bombarded on youth in the mass media (rap music and other sorts encouraging being a "thug" and "hard" and "menacing") or television shows in which the tough guy who manhandles everyone is glorified.

Combine this with bad parenting, in which children are not taught good manners and are instead allowed to do as they please, and you have a generation of obnoxious, pompous brats to show for it.

• JH
    JH

I think that a person who is too polite looks OLD FASHION. And that is repellent to many youngsters.

Old people will appreciate it, but not young people.

JW's look old fashion, because they are too polite when they meet strangers.

Often, walking with an elder in the field service, he said hello to every person he met on the sidewalk. I felt abit ashamed of the way he acted. It felt weird acting that way. Being dressed in a suit also looked old fashion.

• Mecurious?
    Mecurious?

I guess I'm a rare breed, I hold doors open for people all the time. But, I often notice some people (very beautiful women) sometimes don't say thank you. But, I continue to do it anyway.

Brian'

• be wise
    be wise

You sly fox, you!

Admit it!

• berylblue
    berylblue

***** no, you idiot.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Beryl,

Posting Guidelines
    To ensure all users feel safe and keen to participate, please avoid:

1. Insulting, threatening or provoking language
    2. Inciting hatred on the basis of race, religion, gender, nationality or sexuality or other personal characteristic.
    3. Swearing, using hate-speech or making obscene or vulgar comments.

Ozzie

• JH
    JH

Thaks Ozziepost. I felt insulted

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit