Small Field Service Groups, Method of Control?

by JW_Rogue 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• JW_Rogue
    JW_Rogue

Okay, so our congregation announced that Saturdays they would be switching to small FS groups. I found that odd because our KH is central to the territory and easy for most to get to. Through talking with others I found out that this is a branch wide directive that has little to do with convenience for the bros and sisters. Seems to me it is a way to break down large congregations into smaller more manageable groups so that the instant somebody is missing from FS or the meetings they will get pressure to return and be "encouraged." They must've found that with larger congregations it is easier for people to just stop showing up.

• sir82
    sir82

It's nothing new, the direction has been to keep field service groups at smaller than 15 members for many years.

I think a lot of congregations chose to ignore the direction though, because in a group of 12-15 JWs, only the same 3 or 4 will show up for service on Saturday after Saturday after Saturday. So they made the groups 20, 25, or more so they'd have a chance at getting more than 4 people to show up on Saturday.

The local congregation here is splitting their groups smaller too. They just had the CO visit recently, so maybe it is a directive to start pushing congregations to start following orders.

• JW_Rogue
    JW_Rogue

Yes, it is a new directive or perhaps a return to the old way of doing things. Either way it is a branch wide directive which "we should obey whether it makes sense or not." They are also presenting it as a way to practice for the great tribulation where we may have to meet in family homes (what rubbish). It is clearly just a way to enforce more fear, guilt, and group pressure.

• blondie
    blondie

I remember the thought put around that it was easier to shepherd the flock if the elder in each book study group only had to look out for those assigned to his group. But I never saw any book study conductor notice much who was there and who wasn't let alone "shepherd" them or work with them in door to door, supposedly to help them improve in their presentations and spend some so-called quality time with them. I also heard the thought that smaller book study groups could drift into apostasy following a particularly charismatic conductor, personality worship. I did see that happen in 3 congregations when the conductor and the majority of his group left, disavowed the WTS, and formed their own group.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

''It is clearly just a way to enforce more fear, guilt, and group pressure.''

Yes. And I posted the other day under the subheading ''Personal Experiences" under ''Great Announcement".

Many Eldubs in many congregations(probably worldwide by now) have been directed by the G.B. to have ''weekly" contact with their service-group members.(This was after watching that youtube video clip with that Local Needs part)

I related how it's just probably a measure to ''ratchet-down'' the control, to tighten the control. With the Borg hemhorraging members at an unprecedented rate, the control seems to be stepping-up big, big time.

''Obeying instructions whether they seem strategic from a human standpoint or not'', the Dubs have their mind-conditioned to obey at any cost. The control seems to be stepping-up. That's all. Because more and more Dubs know ''The Truth About the Truth''.

• Dreamerdude
    Dreamerdude

This is an effective way to exert peer pressure. Each Saturday the group members make a mental attendance record. Since there were 8 out, that means 7 were missing. Let's see, who was missing? Brother and Sister Lazy must have slept in again. The Travel family must be on another lavish vacation. And Brother and Sister Materialistic must have taken on extra work again.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

And beyond this, there is the stagnation issue. As a bonus, when you have only the same 15 people every time, it becomes that much more a drudgery than if someone could come just when you don't expect it. This results in fewer chances to develop a relationship with someone you are drawn to, because it is always the same. And then, within that 15 members, you always get placed with someone you do not get along with because they are tyrants.

And they wonder why people don't go out at all?

• JW_Rogue
    JW_Rogue

Yes, it feels very forced and not really the natural way of doing things. Why not just go out with whoever you like or have a friendship with? Seems like that would be more enjoyable for everybody.

• Ding
    Ding

"How come you never go out in service with us, brother/sister?"

"Because I'm fading..."

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

"How come you never go out in service with us, brother/sister?"

"Because I'm fading..."

Yes. And what else would you like to know?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit