What happened to Catholic church bashing.

by Hellothere 18 Replies latest watchtower bible

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    wannaexit - they don't bash the catholic church because watchtower has more pedos then the church

I was thinking this too. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't trade info secretly. (I'm being ironic BTW).

No wonder TOMO is always 'as a newt' and slurring his words. The jealousy must be strong in him if the Catholics are still his competition.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I know some oldies who miss the days of clergy and Catholic bashing. Times have changed and the old firebrands of Rutherford and Franz have replaced by grey nonentities. The bland insipid message today is cold porridge .Perhaps in the modern world they are afraid of criticism for “ hate speech “

• careful
    careful

BB, two fine observations:

the old firebrands of Rutherford and Franz have replaced by grey nonentities. The bland insipid message today is cold porridge .Perhaps in the modern world they are afraid of criticism for “ hate speech “
  • dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

My take:

The religious ground from which the WT took root and initially grew was the US Protestant base, the same base from which the Adventists arose in the 1800's. There was a strong anti-Catholic rhetoric which was part of the culture. The hatred of Catholicism continued through the Rutherford years; Rutherford's bashing of Catholics and his public jabs with Father Coughlin were well known in the '30's. The anti-Catholicism diminished as they started to expand more outside the US, especially to the historically Catholic countries of the rest of the Americas. Nowadays they have to craft their message more carefully to appeal to other cultures, especially as the majority of JWs are not in the US anymore.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Franz’s parents were Protestants, and Franz was baptised in Lutheran church, but he attended a Catholic school at a young age and was surrounded by a German Catholic milieu in Cincinnati. Franz recalled corporal punishment and confession at the Catholic school. Following confession, Franz describes:

“I went down to the altar rail and kneeled there as a priest put a piece of bread in my mouth, thus serving me Communion as taught by the church, while reserving the wine for himself to drink later. This was the start of my formal religious training and my respect for God that would grow in the years to come.”

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    while reserving the wine for himself to drink later.

Sounds like something TOMO would do.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Ten bucks says they’re scared of the Vatican lawyers.

• Mum
    Mum

Almost all new cults start out by bashing the Catholic church. Tony Alamo comes immediately to my mind. I'm not sure if he's still alive, but in the '80's, he was causing quite a stir in some quarters. In the old days, a lot of JW converts were formerly Catholic. All religions are look down upon by JW's, but they seemed to have a special hatred for Catholicism.

slimboyfat: I didn't know Franz was Lutheran and went to Catholic school. Thanks

Vidiot: You're probably right.

• My Name is of No Consequence
    My Name is of No Consequence

The org stopped bashing the church when it was revealed that they have their own problem with child abuse.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit