Anyone notice how only some JWs are on FB or social media

by rockemsockem 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• rockemsockem
    rockemsockem

I notice only about half the people I knew in the borg are on social media. Anyone else notice this?

• blondie
    blondie

I find that some jws stay away from social media as it has been demonized by the WTS. Only the WTS websites are permitted for jws.

Those that do use social media, censor themselves and only say good things about the WTS or try to witness online (and count their time of course).

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

ROCKEMSOCKEM:

I have noticed on some people’s friend lists that some JWs have deactivated their accounts. I suspect it is because the religion has demonized social media because they cannot control who people associate with online.

I know of a JW couple who seem to have deactivated their account. A few years back they attempted to get preachy and directed me to the org’s website. I did go there and watched some of a video about asking for $. I then sent them a long message criticizing what I had seen. I guess they didn’t like that.☺️

• cleanideas
    cleanideas

Yes I have also noticed this. Hardly any current JW that I knew for 25 years has a social media account. The ones that did have either deactivated it or totally locked it down so nothing can be seen on it. It's really creepy.

• Jayk
    Jayk
    I deactivated my FB a couple years ago. But the people who criticized my generation for having a Myspace all ended up having FB accounts. It's not just JW I think alot of people have been deactivating there FB accounts. Just like Myspace, social media is kinda a fad. Right now Instagram is very popular because it's mostly about pictures and less about what people have to say.
  • asp59
    asp59

Most JWs this days are old and have no higher education. Maybe they dont know how to open a Facebook account 😁☺

• Researchedandenlightened
    Researchedandenlightened

Too much "accurate knowledge" on social media for jws, i have posted news articles re. child abuse, Australian Royal commission etc. on my social media only to be blocked off i think 7 "family" members so far! They can't handle the truth

• Tahoe
    Tahoe

I noticed about two years ago, that my pimi siblings are no longer using Facebook.

• tresdecu
    tresdecu

interesting...where I live, tons of JWs are on FB. I've never heard of it being "demonized" (sounds a bit dramatic) however I realize things and attitudes are different in diff parts of the US. I guess in my area things are a bit more laid back.

• stillin
    stillin

Tresdecu, it's like that here, too. Lots of JW's have FB accounts. Some are more active than others. Who would complain if your opening page is a picture of a little girl petting a lion?

"Demonized" is just another word for "condemned" in WT-speak.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit