What scripture or scriptures did the cult use to imply animals vegetarian?

by Crazyguy2 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Crazyguy2
    Crazyguy2

When I was a kid they implied that all animals and humans were vegetarian before the flood but I don’t know the scriptures they used, anyone know?

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

I believe it was the scriptures in Genesis Chap.1; 29-31 where God gave them, man and beast "all green vegetation for food" and only after the flood did he permit them to eat animals for obvious reasons.

• JoenB75
    JoenB75

A literal interpretation will also teach there was talking snake and trees with supernatural abilities

• recovering
    recovering

They use the following scripture...

Isaiah 65:25 25The wolf and the lamb will feed together, and the lion will eat straw like the ox, and dust will be the serpent's food. They will neither harm nor destroy on all my holy mountain," says the LORD.

• Magnum
    Magnum

I agree with smiddy3. See reference below:

******************** g82 10/8 pp. 9-10 When All Nature Will Be in Harmony *************************

The Way It Was

When God created humans and animals to live on this earth, he did not purpose for them to be killers. They were created to have peaceful relations with one another. Thus conditions were altogether different from what they are today. The record tells us that "God saw everything he had made and, look! it was very good."—Genesis 1:31.

The human creation was to have in loving subjection "the fish of the sea and the flying creatures of the heavens and every living creature that is moving upon the earth." (Verse 28) None of the animals in the garden of Eden were killers. They were not a threat to man, nor was man a threat to any animal.

God’s Word clearly says regarding the first humans: "I have given to you all vegetation bearing seed which is on the surface of the whole earth and every tree on which there is the fruit of a tree bearing seed. To you let it serve as food." (Genesis 1:29) Hence, man did not use animals for food.

What was the food of the animals? The inspired record states: "To every wild beast of the earth and to every flying creature of the heavens and to everything moving upon the earth in which there is life as a soul I have given all green vegetation for food." Or, as Today’s English Version of the Bible puts it: "For all the wild animals and for all the birds I have provided grass and leafy plants for food."—Genesis 1:30.

So when God designed humans, he put them in a peaceful paradise called Eden. He made them to be at peace with the animals, with no violence or killing for food among animals or man. And humans were to keep it that way by caring for themselves, the animals and the garden paradise that they and their offspring would spread to encompass eventually the entire earth.—Genesis 1:27, 28.

***********************************(bold/italics added by me)**************************************

This has to do with probably the biggest question I had before I was baptized and during my time as a JW. I mentioned the question/issue to a number of smarter, more knowledgeable JWs and not a single one could even remotely provide an answer or make me feel better about the issue. To the contrary, their words just showed up their ignorance and lack of intelligence (and, as I indicated, they were among the smarter and more knowledgeable JWs).

To say the evidence is overwhelming that animals preyed on each other before the supposed rebellion in the supposed Garden of Eden is a massive understatement. I'm not going to provide any details here because I was planning on starting a new thread on the subject soon, and I don't want to derail this one.

edited to add: I also agree with recovering; I think JWs would say that Isa 65:25 implies that animals originally didn't kill each other.

• alanv
    alanv

Magnum, I see that article was written 38 years ago. I believe they can no longer say that animals will not be predators in the ''new earth''

There is such overwhelming evidence that most animals have the body and mindset to kill other animals for food.

Would be interesting to see an article from them on this subject in 2020

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

It would interesting indeed to see a recent statement but I have never seen a retraction of the old belief.

Although I was still a faithful dub, I reasoned that this could not be literally true, although I kept my opinion to myself .

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

At a quick look online, the latest reference I found was in WT 2012 9/15 p10.

That cited the scripture Is 65 but only spoke of a future peace between man and animals, no mention of diet......so maybe they are backing off from the belief?

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

Before the "flood", jehober had a prohibition on animals eating blood, after the "flood" jehober changed his/hers/its mind and blood was no longer "sacred" for animals. jehober communicated with the animals in mysterious ways!

just saying!

• Magnum
    Magnum

alanv and BluesBrother, since this was always one of my main questions concerning JW doctrine, I, too have wondered what the current JW higher-ups think about the issue. Some of them might not even realize there is an issue. You'd be surprised at how many JWs I mentioned it to and then found out they'd never even thought about it.

However, there have to be some of the Great Leaders who know it's an issue. My feeling is that they're just keeping silent on it because they know it's a huge issue. They can't retract because many JWs hold that to be a cherished belief; a retraction would change the image many have of "the new world". And they can't restate it (at least, I don't think they can)* because they know the evidence is overwhelming against it.

BluesBrother, I've never seen a retraction, either. alanv, I, too, "believe they can no longer say that animals will not be predators in the "new earth"". I also believe they can no longer say that animals didn't prey on each other, fight, and suffer immensely for various reasons before the supposed fall of man. Massive evidence shows that nature is and always has been brutal.

*Maybe that have restated it. If any can find a reference, please post it. The latest Watchtower Library installed on my computer is from 2001.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit