6-15-2003 WT. Says That JW's Would Not Bribe Officials!!!

by minimus 16 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Page 32 shows the example of a young woman in Poland who had to make the decision to either follow the simple custom of bribing the teachers with money or gifts to get better grades or to follow the Bible and realize that God disapproves of any bribery. She said," I understood how easy it is to succumb to peer pressure. I thought it over and since then never shared in this custom again." She was able to explain that she does not participate in these "gift" collections because of her Bible based convictions.......I wonder if the brothers in Mexico get the same articles........

• Gopher
    Gopher

No more apples for your teachers, young JW kids!! You cannot follow that simple custom -- otherwise you may be "bribing" them, trying to pervert justice!!!

Geez these people get overwrought about stuff like school grades, but pass by more important issues like pedophilia in their own midst. (Not to blame a Polish girl for exercising her own conscience -- but for the Watchtower to hold it up as an example to follow, well let me say they should get their own house in order before telling others how to behave.)

In speaking with fellow poster "No apologies", there was a Kingdom Hall in the central Minnesota city of St. Cloud where the local congregation had to pay, ahem, an extra "FEE" to give reason for an inspector to help get his job done while inspecting their Kingdom Hall several years ago. So again the local Witnesses followed a "simple custom".

It's situational ethics, friends. Jehovah's Witnesses are AGAINST situational ethics unless the situation calls for it!!

• shamus
    shamus

How do you spell PHARISEES???

For goodness sake...... how do they get away with printing that crap???

Does anyone know that scripture, where men put burdeons on men.... I forgot.

• topanga
    topanga

Don't they always say make friends for yourselves by means of the unrighteous riches?

They've been granted political favors for years.

• blondie
    blondie

I knew several international JW construction workers who said they had to pay $100 to Nigerian custom officials to get into the country. But notice how the WTS calls it a "tip."

*** w86 10/1 30-1 Questions From Readers ***

How can a Christian distinguish between bribing (condemned in the Bible) and giving a "tip" or "gift" for a service rendered?

We need to appreciate that practices differ from area to area. Ways that are accepted in some lands would be offensive or improper elsewhere. For example, people in one country may bow before an official, but in another land that would be viewed as idolatry. Similarly, a "tipping" practice accepted in one land might be shocking or illegal in another. While bearing such differences in mind, all Christians should apply God’s counsel against bribery.

What is bribery, and what does the Bible say about it? The World Book Encyclopedia explains: "Bribery means giving or offering something of value to a person in a position of trust, who in return violates his or her duty or the law in order to benefit the giver." Thus it is bribery to give money (or a gift) to a judge to influence his decision and pervert justice. It is also bribery to offer money so as to circumvent the law, such as asking a building or automobile inspector to ignore a violation.

God condemns bribery, telling Israelite judges: "You must not pervert judgment. You must not be partial or accept a bribe, for the bribe blinds the eyes of wise ones and distorts the words of righteous ones." (Deuteronomy 16:19; compare Proverbs 17:23; Isaiah 1:23; 5:23; 1 Samuel 8:3-5.) Jehovah himself sets the standard, for with him "there is no unrighteousness or partiality or taking of a bribe." (2 Chronicles 19:7; Deuteronomy 10:17) Christians desiring God’s approval refuse to resort to bribery.—Compare Acts 24:26.

While men worldwide denounce and have laws against bribery, many people face the problem reflected in the above question. They know that it takes a "gift" or "tip" to get minor officials in their land to do their job or to do it fairly. For instance, The Wall Street Journal said about a land rife with inflation: "To obtain the extra cash needed to get by, government workers resort to petty corruption. ‘You have to pay them to hand you any kind of form,’ says the head of a state agency. Meanwhile, immigration officials badger bewildered foreign tourists at the international airport for $20 to stamp their passports so the travelers don’t miss their planes."

Recently, U.S.News & World Report commented on bureaucratic delays and resulting payoffs that are common around the world. For instance, it said: "An Indian these days must slip money to an official on the side to enroll a child in school, to gain admittance to a hospital, even to secure reservations on a train." Other illustrations of this include:

—A tradesman needs a permit before he can work. He pays the official fee at the government office, yet everyone knows that without a "gift" his papers will be kept on the bottom of the pile. While he is not asking to be put ahead of others, if he gives the normal "tip," his paper will be properly handled.

—In a certain land, people know that traffic officers get low pay and are expected to add to it with "gifts for refreshments." An officer stops a driver and says that a law was broken, so the man must pay a fine. When the driver protests that he broke no law, the officer warns that if the matter goes to court, he will charge the man also with assaulting an officer. Thus, many simply pay the "fine," viewing it as unofficial taxation. Others refuse, being willing to take the consequences.

—A municipality is supposed to provide garbage collection. But it is normal for a householder to give the garbagemen a "gift." If someone does not, his trash is "forgotten," and he is liable to be fined for unsanitary conditions.

Such problems show that many in authority use their government post for unjust profit. (Ecclesiastes 8:9) Christians long for God’s righteous new system, but until then they must cope with the present system. (2 Peter 3:13) This may mean recognizing local situations wherein public servants expect gifts for performing their job. Even in lands where such is normal, many of Jehovah’s Witnesses who deal with inspectors and customs officials have declined to give "tips" to obtain what the law entitles them to. Because they are known for this stand, they receive treatment that most people get only through a payment. (Proverbs 10:9) However, each Christian must be guided by his Bible-educated conscience according to the local situation.

Love for neighbor is a factor to consider. (Matthew 22:39) It would be unloving to use a "gift" to get preferred treatment, such as being moved to the head of a line, bypassing those who were waiting. Jesus counseled us to treat others as we want to be treated. (Matthew 7:12) Some Christians may feel that as their turn in line comes, they can comply with the practice of the land to give a "gift" to get an official to do what his job requires. Of course, in lands where such "gifts" are not customary or they are shocking to public sensibilities, the loving Christian will act in a way that does not stumble others.—1 Corinthians 10:31-33.

Another factor is obedience to law. Jesus urged: "Pay back Caesar’s things to Caesar, but God’s things to God." (Mark 12:17; see also Matthew 17:24-27.) It is one thing if a Christian who has not broken the law is expected to "tip" a government employee or other official. But what if a Christian actually had violated the law? In that case, how could he in good conscience offer a bribe to induce an officer to ignore the violation? The apostle Paul wrote that we should fear governmental superior authorities, who are empowered "to express wrath upon the one practicing what is bad." (Romans 13:3, 4) Paul’s own position was: If he did wrong, he would accept the appropriate punishment. (Acts 25:10, 11) Thus, a Christian who violated a traffic law might have to pay a fine or fee, as directed by an officer or a judge.

Paul also said that governments are ‘ministers to you for your good.’ Despite the greed of some officials, governments do provide services for the public good. For instance, officials inspect automobiles as to their roadworthiness, and they examine whether buildings are in compliance with fire codes. Therefore, if a Christian felt that, within the law, he could "tip" an official who expected a "service fee," it is evident that this is quite different from bribing an inspector to ignore violations of the law.

In whatever land they live, Christians should exercise practical wisdom in dealing with local situations. God’s servants should remember that those who ‘will be guests in God’s tent and reside in his holy mountain’ cannot resort to bribery. (Psalm 15:1, 5) With regard to giving "tips" to receive rightfully due services or to avoid unfair treatment by officials, a Christian must decide what his conscience permits and bear responsibility for any resulting complications. He certainly should pursue a course that leaves him with a good conscience personally and that does not sully the good name of Christianity or stumble observers.—2 Corinthians 6:3.

[Footnotes]

"Questions From Readers," The Watchtower of June 1, 1968.

Elders in the Christian congregation are responsible to handle violations of divine law, such as stealing, murder, and immorality. But God did not require congregation elders to enforce Caesar’s laws and codes. Hence, Paul did not feel compelled to turn over to Roman authorities Onesimus, who was a fugitive under Roman law. (Philemon 10, 15) Of course, if someone flagrantly violates secular law, gaining the reputation of being a lawbreaker, he would not be a good example and might even be disfellowshipped. (1 Timothy 3:2, 7, 10) If lawbreaking was involved in causing another’s death, bloodguilt requiring congregation investigation might result.

• minimus
    minimus

I wish this poor girl from Poland read this article first and life would have been a lot easier on her.

• seedy3
    seedy3

Hmmmmm......... what about the custom of paying Mexican Government officials to avoid military service back in the 70's and 80's........... Maybe that's not a bribe

Seedy

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Shamus:

For goodness sake...... how do they get away with printing that crap???

They don't. Your arrival here, and that of new ex-JWs every day, proves that they don't!

• rocketman
    rocketman

Elders in the Christian congregation are responsible to handle violations of divine law, such as stealing, murder, and immorality. But God did not require congregation elders to enforce Caesar’s laws and codes. Hence, Paul did not feel compelled to turn over to Roman authorities Onesimus, who was a fugitive under Roman law. (Philemon 10, 15) Of course, if someone flagrantly violates secular law, gaining the reputation of being a lawbreaker, he would not be a good example and might even be disfellowshipped. (1 Timothy 3:2, 7, 10)

Gee, nice to know that you can be a jw and still get away with breaking the law as long as it's not "flagrant".

I knew of one brother who would take his beat-up car to a mechanic who would put an inspection sticker on it without really seeing if the car was road worthy. I was rather surprised to say the least that the brother would do that. Though the mechanic was the one in violation of the law, why should any law-abiding citizen try to get away with driving a car that was not properly inspected? And that brother's knowledge of the mechanics conduct and his complicity in it made him guilty too - possibly even "bloodguilty" should an accident occur. An elder told me that the brother was doing this, and he said it in almost a joking manner, as if there was nothing wrong with it.

• undercover
    undercover
    I knew of one brother who would take his beat-up car to a mechanic who would put an inspection sticker on it without really seeing if the car was road worthy. I was rather surprised to say the least that the brother would do that. Though the mechanic was the one in violation of the law, why should any law-abiding citizen try to get away with driving a car that was not properly inspected? And that brother's knowledge of the mechanics conduct and his complicity in it made him guilty too - possibly even "bloodguilty" should an accident occur. An elder told me that the brother was doing this, and he said it in almost a joking manner, as if there was nothing wrong with it.

You must know me 'cept my cars were always road worthy. Mine wouldn't pass cause I changed the exhaust systems, leaving off the catalytic converter, so then it wouldn't pass. But if you know the right people.....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit