My friend the 'Super-Dub.'

by joey jojo 20 Replies latest jw experiences

• jaydee
    jaydee

'' One of his favourite sayings is, 'to question the GB, is to question Jehovah'. ( I know right)

maybe remind him...

''The Governing Body is neither inspired nor infallible. Therefore, it can err in doctrinal matters or in organizational direction''......The Watchtower—Study Edition | February 2017

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

Reminds me of my father. I have physically shown him that the organisation in real terms hasn't expanded in years in our country of residence. Yet the org is growing because they need more Kingdom Halls. Jehovah is speeding it up in the time of the end. I don't think he realises they put a halt to construction some time back. I just give up.

• joey jojo
    joey jojo

@Steve2,

I think I just like pushing his buttons.

:-)

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

tiki ,I think you have summed it up beautifully,

I wonder if people like him are just feeling like they've invested so much in the religion...sacrificed a life...that to admit it was to no avail is just too disheartening.
  • jookbeard
    jookbeard

its not a full proof insurance policy though the "questioning the GB is questioning jeehovah himself" line, and even the R&F probably know deep down the stupidity of that statement hence the hoards that are leaving each year, the local KH is really a social club to them.

• dozy
    dozy

It's a kind of comfort blanket - "where else do we go" , "what other organisation would God be using" etc. It kind of trumps everything else and becomes a kind of safe place ( mentally ) that people can go back to , regroup their thoughts , and return to the JW world , despite many misgivings , doubts and cognitive dissonance. I know , because I have been there and was for many years. It takes a lot of effort to remove oneself from that mindset , and the Society exploits it to the full , constantly.

Frankly , for JWs , Mormons & others held in this situation , often with so much invested and all of their family etc involved - you've sometimes simply got to leave them in. They have taken the blue pill and it satisfies them,.

• thaisun
    thaisun

A few years ago, I contacted an ex-JW who has returned, stronger than ever. After many discussions about the GB's position, I asked, "If the Watchtower said something that was the opposite of what was written in the Bible, which would you go by?" He answered "The Watchtower."

• HereIgo
    HereIgo

Joey,

It is true, nothing can convince a super dub that they have been lied to and brainwashed. I have had conversations with JW friends, family etc. about anything ranging from doctrinal flip flops to the ARC and they don't even flinch.

• zeb
    zeb

Dear friends all,

why bother!

• steve2
    steve2

It's a kind of comfort blanket - "where else do we go" , "what other organisation would God be using" etc. It kind of trumps everything else and becomes a kind of safe place ( mentally ) that people can go back to , regroup their thoughts , and return to the JW world , despite many misgivings , doubts and cognitive dissonance.

We humans have a strong tendency to gravitate back to what we once knew and did - especially as we get older and what we left behind had certainty on its side.That's why the Catholic church could say, "Give us a child before they are seven, and we'll have them for life' - or words to that effect.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit