Why are they still so obsessed with Dr Spock?

by purrpurr 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Humphry
    Humphry

No that was before Spock, he was for more spontaneity in dealing with children, he was blamed for a more permissive society in the 60s free love and drugs.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Never heard of him outside Watchtower either.

Alexander Hislop of “Two Babylons”, and historian Will Durant, are another two names I probably never would have heard outside Watchtower. Not to mention the infamous Johannes Greber.

There’s probably a substantial list of Watchtower “peculiars and favourites” that could be drawn up.

I think it’s because some Watchtower writers tend to look up the Watchtower index whenever they are writing an article (to the extent they still write general topic articles these days) and repeat whatever quotes and references they find in earlier publications.

• purrpurr
    purrpurr

Silmboyfat, it would be interesting to draw up that list of out of date sources the wt keep using.

What must the younger generation think of such antiquated references?

• Solzhenitsyn
    Solzhenitsyn

Dr. Spocks book "baby and childcare" was revised like 15 times over the years. This is the angle the WT capitalizes on...."Man made books need revision and the Bible never needs to be revised."

Funny...the NWT HAS been revised more than once.

Such a load of crap.

• zeb
    zeb

I remember hearing that 'not pick them up thing' from the [platform and an elder denied, denied, denied it all later I told him Im not silly nor a liar. He went scarlet.

Such a practice is another indicator why so many jw are emotional train wrecks.

But what can you expect from an org masters that have not had kids of their own.

and Spock never said half the things accredited to him; it was people in America and elsewhere reading his work and taking it to extremes.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

WT article writers quote other quotes made by WT writers in the past. They have neither the time or inclination to read the books for themselves. It is lazy writing and following the ‘ party line’

Dubs go shopping and see a kid acting up to his Mum and say “ See, that’s where the wisdom of the world gets you”.

I noted the selective quotes they made from self-help books, which missed the point of the assertion technique entirely.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

I had never heard of Funk & Wagnalls before the WT either & that was always a fun thing to say , "look it up in your Funk & Wagnalls" to a question we couldn`t wouldn`t answer .

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS tends to stay with people and/or quotes that support "their" viewpoint, no matter how old; especially if there are no current ones among the "experts." The WTS is also not shy about taking quotes out of context and publishing them as if the author meant that. They have been accused legally of doing that on their website and had to remove it when legal pressure was brought to bear on them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit