Why are they still so obsessed with Dr Spock?

by purrpurr 17 Replies latest jw friends

• purrpurr
    purrpurr

Comment in today's wt, Was about Dr Spock, and his book "that every parent in the world read" apparently (!)

If it wasn't for the wt's obsessions with the guy I would have no idea who he was, neither I suspect would the vast majority of the congregation. There has been a mass of parenting books written since and yet they keep harking back to this one.

Do they have no idea how out of touch this makes them seem?

• Sigfrid Mallozzi
    Sigfrid Mallozzi

In respect to which specific point that Dr. Spock had promoted that you are referencing I'm not sure, how about the many years of JWs taking their misbehaving children out to the Kingdom Hall porch and whipping them with a large wooden spoon while the neighbors could see and hear the screams of a child as they were getting the crap beat out of them. What a witness to Jehovah!

• LoveUniHateExams
  • road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

We had the book and used it. It told how to recognize childhood diseases, nutrition. The discipline part brought out NOT being brutal and tailoring the punishment to the personality. No horsewhippings, no kicking kids down the stairs; he did state there is a proper padded spot that could be paddled

I wonder if the people deriding the book have even read it? He is not the originator of the spoiled brat syndrome he is blamed for

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

After thought: cut and paste from a watchtower from 40 years ago

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

You mean they are still bringing up that guy? Next up jainus Joplin, Jim Morrison, Jimmy Hendrix on the rocknroll drug culture!

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

I just skimmed the article. He is not mentioned by name. References to " worldly wisdom" I was trying to formulate a comment. BTW looked, book came out in 46 and Spock was against vietnam war which started the blaming him for everything

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Old-school JWs always seemed inclined to blame Spock for taking away spanking (he didn't).

• Humphry
    Humphry

Benjamin Spock was famous and changed the way we care for children. Yeah his anti-spanking policy put at odds with WTB&TS.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/magazine-31622146/the-man-who-changed-parenting

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin_Spock

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Wasn't it Spock who said babies mustn't be picked up if they cry? They must be fed every four hours like clockwork and not picked up in between because that will spoil them.

Figures if it is, cold, heartless, out of date. WTS all over.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit