We are not a cult!

by Nosferatu 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

"We are not a cult!"
    Yeah, we've heard this one before. How did/do the JWs back up this statement? I can't remember.

• caligirl
    caligirl

The only explanation that I remember being given was that cults worshipped or followed a man. I seem to remember the explanation in the reasoning book was that since witnesses did not follow the teachings of one man, they were not a cult. Obviously, their reasoning is oversimplified and based only on one possible identifying mark of a cult to the exclusion of all the others, but that didn't seem to matter.

• freedom96
    freedom96

The witnesses equate a cult with groups such as Jonestown and those who took the kool-aid. Or the moonies, or any other wacky small group that you read about in the papers.

They will not go down a list of cult practises though, because they would be all over the list.

• topanga
    topanga

they seem more like a not for profit organization sort of buisness that instead of choosing the arts or humanitarian efforts they chose religion as their MO. Free furniture free computers and software the legal right to recruit volunteers, tax exemption free building spaces etc and many other perks.

• Jayson
    Jayson

The JW said "What! You think we are a cult don't you! Ya, that's what you think don't even bother answering that IS what you think! What? You think we are all brain washed don't you! Don't You!? ya that's what you think that is all you people think! You are just bigots! And you had better stop messing with things that YOU do NOT understand or you are going to be very sorry!"

And quitely I responded to my father in law, "If you were brainwashed or even under mindcontrol how would you know?"

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

Jayson, that is exactly what I would say too. In fact I keep telling my family to say that to my sister when she laughs them off saying, "No one tells me what to do!!!!"

• glitter
    glitter

Non-JW: You've been brainwashed!

Brainwashed Dub: Yes, I have - my mind has been washed clean by Jehovah's organization!

• SpunkyChick
    SpunkyChick
    Non-JW: You've been brainwashed!

Brainwashed Dub: Yes, I have - my mind has been washed clean by Jehovah's organization!

Glitter - Nicely put!

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront
    The only explanation that I remember being given was that cults worshipped or followed a man.

But they in fact do follow a man, or rather a group of men. It matters not how they sugarcoat the real "truth". Just the other day, my sister in law was telling me about how they're rescheduling all the meetings in the hall to accommodate the arrival and visit of their CO.

And how they do like to talk about how everything that comes from the Soceity is so good.

• mattnoel
    mattnoel

Yeah boys - you keep telling yerselves that and maybe someone will believe you...........even if it is yourself !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit