Religion in the USA and Elsewhere

by Joe Grundy 19 Replies latest social current

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

They would probably be selectively quiet about wearing the scared underwear, for in the book of Mormon it states ..........

" Those who soil the sacred underwear shall be cursed by God for eternity "

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

I see. Best not to wear it after a good night out involving much beer and weird curries then.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The over all adherence and participation of religion has been slowing down for awhile now and this can be seen even in the JWS religion as well, particularly in the most modernized countries.

This might be an acceptance and realization of what is written in so called Holy books like the Bible or the Quran as being old and dated writings of ancient mythology.

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

Knowing and understanding a politician's religion is very important to me, and it think it should be important to everybody. I know I am probably more sensitive about it than non-ex-JWs, but I wish other people paid for attention to it.

A person's religious beliefs naturally influence a person's decision making about a lot of things, and it is a great way to tell what their world view is.

For example, Trump made it very clear that he was against muslims and wanted a muslim ban when he was campaigning. I am guessing there were people who disagree on that issue, but voted for him anyway. For me, it would be a deal breaker. I think it should be for anybody.

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

Nobody stands a chance in American politics unless they believe in Jesus, it is certainly a prerequisite to running for president, it’s a real shame. The sooner we bury all religious bullshit the better.

God bless America.

• Simon
    Simon

Religion is big business in the US / North America, way more than it was in the UK where it tended to be the older demographic who dabbled in it.

In the US, people are always thanking god whenever a microphone is put in front of them. Politicians, sports people, movie stars ... if they win something, it was because God wanted them to.

I'm sure many don't really believe it and only say it because it's a habit and expected. Like religious tourettes.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Some folks do not believe that 'freedom of religion' extends to freedom "from" religion in the US.

However, there is the concept of separation of church and state so, for example, at public/state schools we cannot really talk about religion, especially personal faith. The exception might be a religious studies class in high school. In fact, some elementary schools have banned the religious parts of holidays to the point where Santa decorations are okay, but nativity decorations are not. I can talk about Santa, reindeer, Elf on the Shelf and their ilk, but no baby Jesus. We can have Hanukkah lights and dreidel, but no stories of the Maccabees.

So, it's complicated. And weird.

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

"Knowing and understanding a politician's religion is very important to me, and it think it should be important to everybody. I know I am probably more sensitive about it than non-ex-JWs, but I wish other people paid for attention to it"

I agree, and principally for this reason: if someone is asking me to vote for them (a job interview) I am entitled to question their ability in critical thinking. Most or all religious adherents would fail this test.

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

"I can talk about Santa, reindeer, Elf on the Shelf and their ilk, but no baby Jesus."

Well, being facetious, I have always favoured the nativity story versions in 'Mark' and 'John'.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Joe Do you mean how could the govt ban someone from entering on the basis of their religion, when freedom of religion Is written into the US constitution? I would also like a straight answer to that.

SimonLike religious tourettes.

:-)) :-)) :-))

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit