A State of Emergency has been declared

by Bungi Bill 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

Everybody here right now is busy "battening down the hatches" as they wait for the approach of a Tropical Cyclone. A State of Emergency has been declared in the district - the second one in as many weeks. (The floodwaters from the Tropical Cyclone that hit just last week have still not drained away).

So far, the biggest hazard looks like it will be the storm surges from the ocean, and people living in some exposed coastal areas have already been evacuated.

As for ourselves, we are all packed up ready to go should the need to evacuate arise. Being located 5 kilometres inland, we ought to be outside the reach of storm surge.

However, we will know for sure within the next four to six hours, when this weather system is due to cross the coast (which is guesstimated to happen at a point about 40 kilometres west of here).

According to the Met Service, this is the most intense storm to come this way in 49 years.

• karter
    karter

I'm north of you and raining heavily,Cyclone ment to make landfall in a few hours.

Stay safe mate.

Karter.

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

Karter,

I have just been looking at the "Rain Radar" on the Met Service website. It would seem that the Eastern BOP has missed most of the heavy rain (apart from a brief flutter around 4:30 - 5:00 pm).

The wind speed is rapidly building up, though, and we are in for a severe buffetting over the next few hours..

At least the people of Edgecumbe look like they will be spared another flooding!

• jwleaks
    jwleaks

I found this graphic showing the forecast movement of Ex Tropical Cyclone Cook as it prepares to slice a path through New Zealand. Stay safe.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

I live on The RIng of Fire. We are expecting an earthquake.

Cyclone, flooding, earthquakes. All fodder for superstitious people.

Stay safe all!

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Hopefully, people will be prepared.

Where do you live in Australia, Bungi Bill? Queensland?

• zeb
    zeb

Sheesh! who did you lot offend? First massive quakes, now a cyclone..

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride
    Where do you live in Australia, Bungi Bill? Queensland?

Bill lives in New Zealand, 1000 miles east of Australia

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

Hope you are all okay

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Armageddon is surely very, very near.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit