A world without religion? Any different?

by punkofnice 18 Replies latest watchtower bible

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I wonder what it would be like, without any religion in the world? I don't think it would be like 'Imagine' by Lennon.

I don't believe it will ever happen. Even if it did, people are the same. Do you think there would be those that swap religion for a football team, a corporation, or something they can be part of?

Just thinking out loud.

I am no fan of what religion can do for people on the negative side. I think good things can be accomplished without imaginary sky daddies or lunatics wearing explosive vests.

Would the world really be any different without religion?

• millie210
    millie210

Hi my dear buddy punk!

When I saw your thread title my first thought was John Lennons "Imagine".

Great minds and all that!

So now I have to think of something else to say since you already mentioned that! LOL

But seriously, I dont think people keep things around for thousands of years that dont serve some kind of purpose.

So religion meets some kind of societal purpose.

It does seem that as society evolves and becomes more capable that religions purpose is fading somewhat though. Perhaps people are meeting that need in other ways?

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

I don't know .....but when's the last time you heard of an Atheist setting fire to an abortion clinic, steering a plane into a skyscraper or shunning their children for having their own beliefs ?

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I think humanity can now move on without religion or spiritual beliefs intervened into are consciousness.

There may have been some beneficial social attributes derived from engaging spiritualism as appealing social control over people in organized civilizations but through knowledge of are selves and the world in which we live from a human perspective, mankind might be better off socially directly are selves without religious intervention.

Look what Islam is doing to people now days

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    He'll yeah!
  • ttdtt
    ttdtt
    Ahhh - Yes!
  • Phizzy
    Phizzy

Religion is the womb that gives birth to deluded people who think they have it right. This in turn makes it easy for devious individuals to radicalise these deluded ones with a religiously based ideaology, and then extreme violence ensues.

Organised religion is the culprit, individuals and their faith seem to be no problem.

Get rid of any religious organisation larger than an autonomous House-church and there would be a HUGE reduction in violent extremism, in "honour killings", in genital mutilation of male and female babies, and in many societal problems.

Yes, violence by greedy people wanting power will still be around, but it would be so so difficult to organise on any scale, without a seemingly credible ideology.

To adapt and steal a phrase " Organised religion poisons everything".

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome
    A duller world
  • Phizzy
    Phizzy

" A duller world " Yup, no nightly News of Isis beheadings, Muslim girls being genitally mutilated, their older sisters murdered for loving a non-Muslim, no "christians" bombing abortion clinics, no Hindus killing Bhuddists and vice versa etc etc.

My kind of dull.

• xjwsrock
    xjwsrock

Politics/Nationalism can take on religion-level extremism.

Actually it can be argued that the problem with Islam is that under the surface it is a political/nationalist movement using guerrilla tactics.

Lines get blurred between labels when an ideology gets so fanatical that the followers start killing people over it.

"Spiritual" groups that promoted gratitude, charity, peace, and working to be a better person would be an asset to society. Beyond that though the slope gets slippery.

No group regardless of label should be able to teach that non-believers or non-members should die. That is common sensical line that shouldn't be crossed.

Jehovahs Witnesses cross this line btw...😡

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit