Going to Ireland for three weeks, any thing to avoid?

by FreeFallin 20 Replies latest jw friends

• FreeFallin
    FreeFallin

Hi everyone,

I'm leaving for the trip of a lifetime tomorrow! Flying into Dublin and then driving all along the coast and ending up in Galway. Does any one know of anything special I shouldn't miss and any place to be especially wary of? Hilary Step mentioned Limerick, as "Slash City." Those aren't exactly the kind of things you read about in the tour books.

Any help would be appreciated.

FreeFallin

• Shakita
    Shakita

Can I come....I could really use a vacation! Just kidding....I would never go to Ireland....I hear the leprechans are taking over the country.

Mrs. Shakita

• safe4kids
    safe4kids
    Going to Ireland for three weeks, any thing to avoid?

Yeah...Scotland.

Dana

• FreeFallin
    FreeFallin

Don't worry Mrs. Shakita, I plan on doing a little Leprachaun hunting while I'm over there. Don't forget, they have all the gold!

Free

• FreeFallin
    FreeFallin

Dana,

Scotland has never held any interest for me, except for the Shetland Islands, where my dogs originated. I understand it's just a barren rock mass, though.

Free

• Curious Mind
    Curious Mind

Kingdom halls

• safe4kids
    safe4kids
    I understand it's just a barren rock mass, though.

Yeah, I've heard the same thing

And btw, although I've nothing helpful to contribute, I do wish you the best of travels. I hope you have a great time!!

Dana

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

FreeFallin,

There's loads to see in Ireland for such a small country. Driving around the coast is a good idea as you can get to all the major cities (Dublin, Cork, Limerick and Galway) as well as seeing some of the best scenery in the world. There's loads to see and do, depending on what you like. See http://www.ireland.travel.ie/home/ for useful info., accommodation, route planning etc.

Some general advice:

1. The weather is unpredictable. No matter how sunny it seems, even if there are no clouds in the sky, there's always about a 50% chance of rain. This increases the further west you go.

2. Irish roads are not all built to the quality you may be used to, so allow some extra travel time.

3. Limerick is not that bad, (compared to New York, say) but it is a city, so use common sense.

Just ask me if there's anything else specific you want to know. I'll PM you my phone no. so you'll have someone to call if you have any questions or run into any problems while you're here.

• Xena
    Xena

Yea I would have to agree with safe..avoid anything scottish like the plague....course I will be there in a few weeks..got suckered into agreeing to go there before I knew better...

book in haste repent at leisure....

hope you have nice trip though!!!

• mattnoel
    mattnoel

Ireland is the most wonderfull place, have been there a few times and we are going back for our anniversary in July. No where is a problem there, you will absolutely love it.

The only place I would say to avoid is the Kingdom Hall.

When your in Dublin look for a place called Temple Bar, its a Bohemic part of town - very nice and also Trinity College (you cant miss it!) houses the book of kells. Galway is breathtaking alone !

Have a great time !!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit