Not since 1939 -1945............

by The Fall Guy 11 Replies latest social current

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

.......has the news in the UK been dominated every single day for years by a single topic, i.e. Brexit. It's all-consuming.

And the way things are going, it's going to last WAY longer than WW2.

We've got at least another 1-2 years of "negotiating a deal" to endure - IMHO.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Recently, MPs voted against a No Deal Brexit, the against side winning by one vote (313-312).

And disgraced former Labour Fiona Onasanya attended, electrictronic tag around her ankle, and voted against.

She had served 28 days of a three month prison sentence for perverting the course of justice by repeatedly lying to police to avoid a speeding fine.

Ladies and gentleman ... our politicians.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Not sure about that. I remember it being mentioned that Question Time featured the Iraq War every single episode from 2003 for five years or so. Only the Northern Rock crisis of 2007 started to supersede it in the news. So Brexit still has a while to go to beat the Iraq War as a long running story.

Personally I think the best solution would be Scotland, England, Wales and United Ireland as independent countries, each as members of the EU, and in a British Isles Cooperative Federation. Problem solved.

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

Hi SBF - As I've said to a good friend who's a staunch SNP/independence supporter:

1) If you get independence, you'll be under Brussels' thumb instead of Westminster's.

2) Want to join the Euro? Because England will probably refuse the use of Sterling.

3) Do you want a Scotland/England hard border?

No.1 says it all - Scotland would not be independent.

Ask Malta and the Maltese people how they feel now about their longed-for membership of the E.U.

Their island is no longer their island.

• jeffdavis
    jeffdavis

When the EU tells a sovereign nation to let in more Muslims they can go FuC% themselves most expeditiously

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Ask Malta and the Maltese people how they feel now about their longed-for membership of the E.U - I used to work with a Maltese guy at the Natural History Museum.

He absolutely hated the fact that Malta had adopted the Euro - he wanted to go back to the Maltese Lira.

As far as I could tell, he wasn't 'racist', he just wanted Malta to have their own monetary system and be out of the EU.

Personally I think the best solution would be Scotland, England, Wales and United Ireland as independent countries, each as members of the EU, and in a British Isles Cooperative Federation. Problem solved - how would your 'British Isles Cooperative Federation' be different from the UK?

Plus, you want a united Ireland ... best let the Northern Irish decide that, eh?

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

Man the British government even is more screwed up then the u.s.

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny
    he wanted to go back to the Maltese Lira.

I visited Malta in 1980 and the currency then was the Maltese pound ( M£).

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

LUHE, your thoughts on a B.Isles Cooperative Federation are exactly the same a mine, and I think it is something the U.K has been stumbling towards for many years, with devolved Government a reality, albeit not functioning in N.I at the moment.

As you rightly say, to let the Loyalists dictate what should happen is patently wrong, but "our" solution still leaves those in Northern Ireland who wish to see a united Ireland out in the cold.

I do think it could perhaps be achieved, but there will be tremendous emotions, and maybe some more or less valid objections to overcome. Sadly it could still even lead to bloodshed should feelings run too high.

There would be much to carefully consider.

As things are with the Brexit cock-up, or Con, whichever you prefer, I have never in my long life seen such an inept Government, or one quite so corrupt I think.

We need a change of Government, not just to sort Brexit, but the more pressing problems of Homelessness, an Education system in crisis, along with the N.H.S and the Police, and our Infrastructure which is crumbling.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

1. Ireland seems happy as a member of the EU. Scots now have a clear choice: membership of a union where the views of small nations matter (the EU) or membership of a union where Scotland’s views don’t matter (UK).

2. Joining the Euro would be good, or our own currency, or continue to use Sterling, whichever, I don’t mind. And Westminster can’t stop Scotland using Sterling for as long as it wishes. And one hopes Westminster would finally see the sense of cooperating with neighbours and friends, whatever he currency and border arragements, after the disgrace of these Brexit “negotiations”.

3. I don’t want a border. I would wish Scotland and England both inside the EU. If England insists there must be a border the I wouldn’t allow that threat to stop independence. In the long run I hope they would see sense about cooperating with Scotland and other near neighbours in the EU by rejoining customs unions and single market. Leaving is madness in the first place.

I don’t know anything about Malta I’d need to read about that. My experience is that Ireland and other European countries I’ve visited seem happy in the EU.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit