Question- do JWs use the term overlapping generations

by Xanthippe 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

No, they don't really use that term it makes it sound ridiculous (which it is) most don't talk about it - JW rogue

I'm PIMO and I never hear the term used at meetings or in general conversation. The subject is never brought up. - a piece of shit

To be perfectly precise, the official doctrine is that there is "one generation composed of two overlapping groups". No one uses the exact phrase "overlapping generation" - sir82

Thanks guys that answers my question.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Sir82 clarified things but I would add that the WTS made two representations of generations into one on their own, people born around 1914 and people born from out of that generation or two life spans conjoined as it were.

That's not what Jesus said as in " This Generation " as a singular description.

This description would therefore include new borns and the old, a generation in biblical chronology time is a complete life span 80, 90 or perhaps even 100 years.

Another way of looking at from a WTS perspective , lets say a person had a child in their 40 's or 50's who were themselves born after 1914, then their offspring would be included in " This Generation " .

But that's not what the WTS once said for very long time .

Interesting enough in that that is the actual age group who are now presently the GB members of the WTS/Jworg.

So from using the year 1914 as a start date we can see that things would have to occur no more than 100 years from 1914 as a Biblical generation , that's if you were to adhere to Jesus's description of " This Generation "

• Finkelstein
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot
    road to nowhere - "I have noticed 'apparently' has fallen off in use. Could that be because it was made fun of here?"

I think you mean "evidently".

And no.

Frankly, I think the bOrg uses it even more, just as a general "fuck you".

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

re. Finkelstein's post...

That mag title should be retconned: "1914: The Generation That Will Never Overlap"

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

It's the official term is it Doc?

BEWARE! Only "fringe" JW's speak to me.

• btlc
    btlc

Imagine some PIMO make public speech about the topic using wikipedia for outline :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overlapping_generations_model

• Listener
    Listener

Xanthippe, when you talk to JWs at their cart ask them for a scripture that backs up their interpretation or is it just something the Governing Body (men) made up. They can't answer that and they will try to take the conversation in a different direction.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Thanks Listener!

• stillin
    stillin

They want "generation" to be the same as "time period." But that wasn't what Jesus said and that wasn't what the Witnesses taught for all of those years. Because a time period can be short or long. Jesus was indicating that it would be short.

Time to move the starting point.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit