Question- do JWs use the term overlapping generations

by Xanthippe 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Well careful literally it's a meaningless sentence. In terms of the cult I think it means don't leave the 'truth' the paradise is coming soon!

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The term Overlapping Generation was a doctrine created by the head GB members of the JWS organization not so long ago.

The reason for this is that for decades the WTS/JWS stated that those who saw the events of 1914 "This Generation" would not pass away without seeing Christ's new Kingdom order and they wouldn't even die.

Since we are now 100 years past 1914, it was necessary to create a reason for nothing happening. There is little scriptural support for this over lapping generation doctrine but the WTS twisted verses in the bible out of necessity to uphold 1914.

The actual date setting of what the WTS did (1914) is against Jesus's own instructions for preaching his gospel and is a form of apostasy from the written word.

The WTS has been preaching and teaching 1914 as the year Christ supposedly had taken upon his heavenly throne and cast Satan down to the earth, creating what was really a tainted commercialized Gospel for literature proliferation purposes.

Image result for millions now living will never die

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Yes I know what the teaching is for Fink but I want to get a handle on what the JWs themselves call it. Is it a derogatory term we use or do they use it themselves? Could I say it to my JW sister or brother if, by some miracle, they ask me one day why I don't come back and actually listen to the answer?

I'd also like to try it at a cart/ trolley, there are usually two in my town every Saturday.

• sparky1
    sparky1

"MILLIONS THEN LIVING ARE NOW DEAD" - Sparky1

And interestingly enough, all those who died during that generation originally spoken of by Jehovah's Witnesses....their lives and deaths overlapped!

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Well I thought it was a simple question that would get a simple yes or no answer. In one way I guess it's a relief to know I'm not the only one who hasn't worked this out yet even though we've had hundreds of posts about it.

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

Here's the point no one brings it up in conversation for 1 of 2 reasons.

A.

If they say it's a bunch of crap they are labeled apostate.

B. No one will admit they don't understand it for fear of being labeled spiritually weak.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Nowwhat? so no one talks about it and it's rarely discussed in the literature? Odd, I doubt if I went a week without talking to a householder about the one generation from 1914 teaching in FS. It must be a huge elephant in the room thing among JWs mustn't it?

• JW_Rogue
    JW_Rogue

No, they don't really use that term it makes it sound ridiculous (which it is) most don't talk about it at all. Or they just refer to that stupid video from Splane as if it it all makes sense after you watch it. A generation is generally defined as a group of people born around the same time. My generation and my parents generation can't be the same, so how could someone born in 1950 be in the same generation as someone old enough to be their parents?

• APieceOfShitNamedTate
    APieceOfShitNamedTate
    I'm PIMO and I never hear the term used at meetings or in general conversation. The subject is never brought up. Some people might think it's difficult to understand, but I just look at it as sort of "passing the baton" from one generation to the next. Whichever generation sees Armageddon, they would have overlapped with someone who overlapped with someone who overlapped with someone who overlapped with someone who overlapped with someone who overlapped with someone who overlapped with someone who overlapped with someone who overlapped with someone who overlapped with someone who overlapped with someone who overlapped with someone who overlapped with someone who was alive in 1914. Did the people in Jonestown add enough sugar to the Kool-Aid to overlap the taste of the poison?
  • sir82
    sir82

To be perfectly precise, the official doctrine is that there is "one generation composed of two overlapping groups". No one uses the exact phrase "overlapping generation".

Aside from that, well, it's pretty much as others have noted. No one talks about it unless forced to.

Well, maybe not quite "no one". On occasion, you'll run into some egotistical blowhard who will bring up the topic just so they can expound on well they understand the doctrine and how "deep" it is.

I'd say well over 90% of JWs realize the teaching is utter BS but prefer not to rock the boat because "where else would we go?", "Jehovah will clarify it eventually", or some similar stock response when confronted with overwhelming evidence that their doctrine is crap.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit