KILLING ME SOFTLY

by RAYZORBLADE 14 Replies latest jw friends

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

It has been a very long...in fact decades since I've heard the original version of this masterpiece:

Roberta Flack's: Killing Me Softly (1973)

I was at a local pub here in Rayzorblade's neighbourhood, and there was a showcase featuring local indie talent. That was fine, and then someone, close to ol'Rayzorblade's age, played some old R&B from the late 60s & early 70s.

When I heard Roberta Flack's voice, I kid you not...I stopped what I was doing...and listened to the intro to this wonderful piece of American brilliance.

As soon as I heard the angelic voice of Roberta Flack, I kid you not, I was almost tranported back to a time and place: rural Atlantic Canada 1973

I won't go into details, but it's not very often you hear a song, such as the one sung by Roberta Flack, that is so powerful, it simply leaves you speechless.

Reminds me of late nights listening to AM radio eminating from the eastern seaboard of the United States late at night: what a joy!

Anyone remember this song, or have any personal favs from that era? I would love to read/hear about it.

Thanks!

• Gopher
    Gopher

I agree that Roberta Flack sounds wonderful on that song. Wasn't she singing about Don McLean, the composer of "Miss American Pie"??

Anyhow -- along that same line, I've always enjoyed a variety of songs from that era. I was rather young then, and can't remember a lot from the early 70's. But here are some:

Midnight Train to Georgia -- Gladys Knight and the Pips

One -- Three Dog Night

Time in a Bottle -- Jim Croce

Long and Winding Road -- The Beatles

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Hey Gopher, those songs, are indeed, early 70s classics.

I loved those ones too.

Thanx

• Brummie
    Brummie

I luuuuuuuuurv that song, was playing a cover of it yesterday on Luthers "songs" album. Too cool

• azaria
    azaria

Music - one of my favourite topics

There's too many to mention: on the top of my head: Happy Together-Turtles (just a happy song), Gimme, Gimme Some Lovin-Spencer Davis Group, (your love has lifted me) Higher & Higher (can’t remember who sang it), The Chain-Fleetwood Mac, Sting, Van Morrison, Rhythm of my Heart-Rod Stewart. I could go on and on. I really did like Roberta Flack also and I do have to mention again Marvin Gaye.

• Gopher
    Gopher

(your love has lifted me) Higher & Higher (can’t remember who sang it),

It was originally sung by Jackie Wilson, and remade in the 70's by Rita Coolidge.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Two more by roberta are: the first time ever i saw your face, and the closer i get to you. A group called chicago is also from that era, saturday in the park, if you leave me now. Steelydan - do it again, and fm.

SS

• azaria
    azaria

Hi Gopher: Thanks for letting me know who sang the song. A couple of weeks ago I was "wracking"? my brain trying to figure out the name of an artist from the late 50's, early 60's. I can't even remember the song - maybe "hurt so bad" but I think that may be Anthony & the Imperials. All I remember, he passed away quite a few years ago. I believe he became destitute and died of alcoholism. He was a great singer. I didn't even connect Jackie Wilson with Higher & Higher. Maybe one of these days I'll remember. When I worked at a radio station many years ago I could name artists and songs just like that, but now. Getting old I guess (no, no I'm getting better with age)

• LeslieV
    LeslieV

Of course, those of us that were teens when Roberta was singing that song all remember memories of that era. I also liked a song named Brandy. Can't remember who sang that either but I loved it. Probably American Pie is my all time favorite.

Leslie

• azaria
    azaria

LeslieV

Was Brandy sung by the Looking Glass? (what a good wife you would be)?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit