Looking at things from Jehovah's perspective...actually, the Watchtower Society's perspective

by RULES & REGULATIONS 11 Replies latest watchtower bible

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

The Watchtower—Study Edition | March 2022

STUDY ARTICLE 12

Do You See What Zechariah Saw?

11. What challenges do some of Jehovah’s worshippers face today?

11 Change is challenging for many of us. Some who served in a form of special full-time service for a long time have received a change of assignment. Others have had to relinquish a cherished privilege because of their age. It is normal to feel disappointed when such a change affects us. Initially, we may not fully understand the decision or agree with it. We may miss the way things used to be. And we may become discouraged, feeling that in our new circumstances, we are of little use to Jehovah. (Prov. 24:10) How can Zechariah’s vision help us to keep giving our best to our God?

12. How can Zechariah’s vision help us to cope with disappointment resulting from a change in our circumstances?

12 We cope better with change when we look at things from Jehovah’s perspective. He is accomplishing great things today, and we have the unique privilege of being his fellow workers. (1 Cor. 3:9) Our responsibilities may change, but Jehovah’s love for us will not. Consequently, if a change in the organization affects you personally, avoid getting caught up in the whys and wherefores behind the change. Rather than long for “the former days,” prayerfully look for the good in the change. (Eccl. 7:10) Rather than think about the things you can no longer do, think about all the things you can do. From Zechariah’s vision, we learn the importance of keeping a positive attitude. Thus we will remain joyful and faithful even when our circumstances change.

After you take off your rose-colored glasses, you finally begin to see how the Watchtower Society use the Watchtower Study for blind obedience and compliance. The articles are just a steering mechanism.

The Watchtower Society operates as a business, with business interests and ventures. They close Branches, lay off Bethelites, reduce workforces, sell Kingdom Halls and Brooklyn properties. And, don't forget the payouts from of all lawsuits filed against them.

Don't ask questions! Don't get disappointed or discouraged! Prayerfully look for the good in the change while the Society runs off with all the proceeds.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

They like to push this idea regularly, to keep the rank and file in line. They are not shy about equating the GB with Jehovah himself, in order to stress that they have the authority to make decisions that should not be questioned. It is breathtaking how arrogant they sound sometimes.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known
    Some who served in a form of special full-time service for a long time have received a change of assignment. Others have had to relinquish a cherished privilege because of their age. It is normal to feel disappointed when such a change affects us. Initially, we may not fully understand the decision or agree with it.

Let's go through this word salad -

Some who served in a form of special full-time service for a long time have received a change of assignment. Translation: The now defunct District Overseer assignment and other assignments that received full financial support were cut due to corporate downsizing.

Others have had to relinquish a cherished privilege because of their age. Translation: Bethel volunteers who took an oath of poverty and relied 100% on the Watchtower were thrown out into the cold streets. These volunteers aged-out and would have been a financial burden to the Watchtower.

Initially, we may not fully understand the decision or agree with it. Translation: You have seen the injustice and question the Watchtower's claim in being God's chosen spokes piece.

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS
    Some who served in a form of special full-time service for a long time have received a change of assignment. Translation: The now defunct District Overseer assignment and other assignments that received full financial support were cut due to corporate downsizing.

Exactly! Just like our District Overseer Mario Beltrami and his wife who were thrown down to the curb when he reached a certain age. What did he receive after all his years of dedication and service? A small apartment in Florida. My brother and many other Elders in his congregation send them money every month so they can survive and pay their rent, food and insurance.

• joao
    joao

Just like in any factory, machines get older and are replaced!

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

RULES & REGULATIONS:

I always hated when they tried to make a comparison between something from bible times and the present. In this case, they are trying to get people to view something unpleasant they are doing in a positive light 🤮.

All these people who got kicked to the curb are ending up in congregations to join all the other unprepared and needy individuals living on the edge. Too many all in one place. What most have in common is: being told they didn’t need a well-paying job or pension because ‘Armageddon was coming’.. Problem is they reached retirement age first.. The ones who got kicked to the curb helped print articles saying just that!..How silly is that?

I might have mentioned to you in another thread that it’s very charitable of your brother and other elders to give a$$istance to these COs who lost their position.

Articles like this are just a reminder to me that congregations of JWs with all the ‘needy’ who never wanted to work are No place that I would want to be! ..I’m not Out because of this but it just adds another reason to stay away!

• ThomasMore
    ThomasMore

LHG - You see through WTC but so many do not. I give this a lot of thought on a regular basis and I still don't have a clear answer as to why this is. I know of:

1. Some very intelligent JWs who are not experiencing the detrimental effects of WTC in a severe fashion and they do not acknowledge that it is happening.

2. Others who are not so bright and are now suffering the consequences of following WTC still do not see the control in practice. They vow that the WTC magazine will only be pried out of their cold dead fingers.

3 Then there are the ones who recognize the control of WTC and fade or rebel against it. They may or may not have experienced detrimental life effects from supporting the organization.

In all 3 instances, ample proof was presented to each member but only some woke up, and rightfully left - like yourself. Why is that? There is clearly something missing in some people who are susceptible to cults and cannot leave. Any ideas what it might be? Anyone that ventures a theory or pschoanalysis, I really want to know.

Somehow I hope that we can identify a personality trait that can be reasoned with and maybe some poor souls can be helped.

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS
    In all 3 instances, ample proof was presented to each member but only some woke up, and rightfully left - like yourself. Why is that? There is clearly something missing in some people who are susceptible to cults and cannot leave. Any ideas what it might be? Anyone that ventures a theory or pschoanalysis, I really want to know.

Great post ThomasMore!

I was a Jehovah's Witness for close to 40 years. Stopped attending all meetings (faded) nine years ago. I have over 20 family members who still attend meetings. Why did I fade and my family still attend? I was getting mentally exhausted, couldn't live with the lies of the Watchtower Society and I told myself that I would have to live with all the consequences from leaving. My family have left me alone and so have the Elders. It's up to every individual to stay or leave. Some choose to stay for family...some choose to stay for comfort...some choose to stay because that is all they know!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

And why live in those ancient times? First, these stories about these "prophets" are just that--stories. And even if they really did happen, why try live by them? Try living to something like the 1990s for a week and see how hard it is to live by outdated conditions. If I can't even live according to conditions found in the 1990s, why should I try living by conditions found more than 2,000 years ago?

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

THOMAS MORE:

Thanks. I credit the 1995 Generation teaching for opening my eyes and getting me out.

Before this, I made excuses to myself for the many things wrong and was optimistic that things would get better. What a fool. I’m just SO grateful now that I never caved in to peer pressure to quit that job I had!.. Believe me, nobody would be taking up any collection for ME like the overseer mentioned in Rules & Regulations’ post above!

As far as the examples you gave: I can see No. 1 where certain people there will not relate or understand detrimental effects of the religion to anybody else! They have cushy lives and a great situation. No money problems. Life is good. Multigenerational Witnesses with a great safety net of relatives, etc. Also, some came into the religion after they earned their pensions and doing well and forgot what it’s like to struggle. By the way, all the older people I saw were earning their pensions. They obviously were in the workforce but yet some hypocrites knocked ME for my full time job.. Go figure.

I can see some fall into the 2 and 3 category. I also laugh at the mentality that somebody would have to pry the magazine out of their cold, dead hands! 🤣 Who’s trying? They can have it.

I think many stay because of the sunk cost fallacy. They stayed at the party too long and now they’re stuck and don’t want to start over. They may also fall into Category No. 1. Life is good so they stay put.

I can’t speak for anybody else but I had to do what I felt was right for me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit