Do you think this is rude????

by bluesapphire 21 Replies latest jw friends

• obiwan
    obiwan

I remember a public talk when I was young about public prayer, the meat of it was that you did not have to make a spectacle of yourself when doung so a small prayer to yourself would suffice. This is another example of someone forcing there beliefs on other's....boneheads!

Oh and rude, rude, rude!

• foreword
    foreword

I always thought the prayer thing in restaurants was somewhat just to show off. And it doesn't take half an hour to thank god for a meal either if that's what you want to do. And you can do it without anyone noticing.

Just another proof of how religion creates pharisees.

I would've been insulted too.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    Well, when everyone's food finally came, the man of the other family states out loud, "Do you mind if we pray?!"

My response would be to say "Not at all!" and carry on eating (loudly if possible ).

• rocketman
    rocketman

Yeah, the 'ol 'phrase it like a question, when it's really not' routine - "Do you mind if we pray?".

I notice you were given no time to actually answer the so-called question. I wonder what would have happened if you or someone else said "yes, I do mind".

• Brummie
    Brummie

Lol @ Funky derek.

I would have given him the bill for my meal and asked him to pray on that too, cus I dont got no money...lets see him put his money where his mouth is.

Brummie

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

I agree with Reborn. I would have looked the fellow and told him NO.

And yes, this was extremely rude behaviour. I still pray and when I'm around others or we've had folks here to eat at our house I pray silently.

• SpunkyChick
    SpunkyChick

Not only was it rude of that pompous-self-rightous man, it sounds pretty embarressing too.

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

Thanks for your replies everyone.

I think it was embarassing too. I don't like to be judged and still have that awful feeling of wanting to be liked by everyone. So that's why I stayed silent and my husband too. In retrospect, I should have continued eating and sent the message that way.

But this man really is a nice man. There are many worse things a man could be I guess. I think just because I'm not a spiritual person that spritual people tend to get on my nerves. Not if they're discreet but just don't talk to me about it.

And this pressed my JW buttons all over the place. Especially the ELDER buttons.

Shows I got more healing to do. I want the day to come when I have no buttons left and these things affect me the way they would any other non-ex-jw-joe-blow.

• Mary
    Mary

Yes it was very rude of him...........when he said "do you mind if we pray" you should've said "yes I do." LOL!! In any event, didn't Jesus say something about "when you pray" you should do it in private and not "stand on the corners" like the Pharisees who wanted everyone to know what they were doing?

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

Just shoulda said, no thanks, I don't believe in God. Have fun talking to the Pink Invisible Parakeet!!

ash

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit