Do you like to experiment when cooking?

by Xanthippe 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Jazz cooking, I like it jp. Sometimes I just like to think what flavours and ingredients I would like to put together.

Scruff I used to cook in an iron pan. I wonder what I've done with it. Searing is supposed to keep the meat juices in isn't it, I don't know much about cooking brisket.

• karter
    karter

I love cooking and living in New Zealand we have the best seafood.

Im a keen fisherman so plenty of fresh fish i make stock from the heads and bodys its good for a risotto,soup ect

I have a large herb garden and love cooking with fresh herbs.

Karter.

• jp1692
    jp1692

Scruffmcbuff: to sear first or not... any opinions?

Browning is better. The Maillard reaction adds lots of flavor to the food.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Since the slow cooker is mentioned above, I've found that the best way to cook pernil,or pork shoulder it's also called, that huge cut of pork you probably see in the supermarket with the skin still on it. Pernil is a popular Latin dish, which some folks marinate with sour orange, garlic, oregano etc. I just stick some garlic cloves inside the roast and let it marinade overnight, most people put it in the oven to make the skin crispy, but I prefer it in the slow cooker, comes out perfectly, not dry or leathery at all.

• LV101
    LV101

The slow cooker is the most convenient cooking tool but I'm never happy with the results compared to regular old-fashioned cooking. I've tried browning/flouring before like link above advises but might have to try again. Some people cook steel-cut oats (time consuming normal way) in the crockpot --- even peach cobbler. The new pressure-type cooker is popular - can't think of what it's called. I know people that love the speed/efficiency of it.

Xanthippe - If you lived close by I'd buy tomatoes from you.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Karter I love fish, I'm so glad you get to eat the fish you catch. People here catch it, weigh it, throw it back then put the pictures on Facebook! Very impressed you make your own stock. I love making risotto and soup. I need to plant more herbs.

Shirley, interesting way with pork in the slow cooker. I love cooking with garlic too. It's gorgeous roasted in the skin then squished out for soup.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Karter I love fish, I'm so glad you get to eat the fish you catch. People here catch it, weigh it, throw it back then put the pictures on Facebook! - my cousin Jen's fiance is a very good cook. She told me that when they went camping in Scotland, he caught, gutted and cooked fish for her.

As for me, I haven't been experimenting but I'm getting interested in Middle Eastern cuisine. I love falafel, Arabic salad and tabbouleh.

I've watched some youtube vids on how to do ME cuisine ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KCYHOM_3As

Maybe I should try to do it myself.

• scruffmcbuff
    scruffmcbuff

Thanks all. The brisket went in at 0715HRS.

• karter
    karter

xanthhippe,Hey if your ever down this way ....it would be a pleasure to cook with you,

Karter.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

LUHE your cousin's fiancé sounds like a great catch for her (sorry). Thanks for introducing me to the idea of ME cooking, I'd like to try it.

Thanks Karter, I would love to visit your country, it look beautiful. One day ......

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit