Do you like to experiment when cooking?

by Xanthippe 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Just lately I've become weary of following recipes in books or online. Recently when on holiday in the Lake District I wanted to make pasta with a tomato and cheese sauce but the only interesting cheese they had at the local store was a Somerset Brie. I discovered when peeled of its skin and tossed in with tomatoes and pasta it melts beautifully and tasted amazing. I always thought it was fatty but it oozes because of the high water content apparently and is lower in calories than cheddar.

Today I'm trying Brie in a pastry tart with roasted vegetables, garlic, red pepper and tomatoes. Mainly becomes I have a glut of tomatoes in the greenhouse and also I'm trying out recipes for my vegetarian daughter.

Do you like to experiment, what do you make?

• Xanthippe
  • LV101
    LV101

Sounds delicious -- WOW! No, I do not like to experiment because too many healthy recipes turn out yucky and I've no time. Nothing better than homemade food and only one way to experience it, unfortunately.

Love tomatoes -- cool you have a greenhouse.

• Darkknight757
    Darkknight757

Sounds amazing Xan!! I also like to experiment with base recipes. I’ll get a recipe and then alter it to what I have around the house or just to our families personal taste.

Since the new addition, my wife has been very busy with her and other projects as well as the local MOMS Club so I’ve taken over the cooking in our house. We are also BLW or baby lead weaning so we try to make meals that Izabella can also eat. We do Italian, Mexican, and lots of dishes that feature chicken. My wife’s favorite was the homemade Cheeseburger Mac.

Been also experimenting with baking and make some incredible chocolate chip cookies and sugar cookies, much to the detriment of my waistline.

• scruffmcbuff
    scruffmcbuff

Im more a low n slow bbq and smoker kinda guy. I experiment alot with rubs and marinades.

• caves
    caves

Im good at and love cooking. I had some real bombs in my first attempts at organic vegan cooking. Tasted like something from the seventh layer of hell with glitter on top. Lol.

Now I can usually get real creative using the spices, herbs and combos I like, and others like.

Currys, Indian cuisine, Thai , Philippino, Mediterranean, authentic recipes from mexico, ect. I also like to find old cookbooks from the generation in there 80-90s there are some great gems in those in my opinion.

Im adventurous in trying out food. Alligator ,bison,buffalo, venison, frog legs, turtle, snake, (snake is my least fav, taste like tilapia and freezer burnt chicken, imo) Ive had crickets,(sourcream flavor) Ummm that was weird. Tripe, cow tongue, duck, chantrell mushrooms.... I love to cook for large groups of people but not fiesable at this time.

last thin i made to share was a blueberry pie with fresh blue berries, it was my first go at a blueberry pie. I can do better next time.

• flipper
    flipper

Nice thread Xanthippe, thanks for posting ! I do a lot of cooking as well, love to experiment.

Several things me and my wife enjoy - BBQing salmon on the grill after marinating in Very Very terriyaki sauce for about an hour or so. Very tasty.

I love making my infamous country fried potatoes for breakfast - slice organic golden yellow potatoes up good, kind of thin, from the garden I add in fresh basil cut up, green onions, rosemary, or sometimes red onions, slice up a little zucchini squash, add in sharp cheddar cheese, add a little soy sauce, a little Pepper plant spicy sauce, or a jalapeno pepper, add lemon pepper , and cook for about 45 minutes or so turning the potatoes often and a little longer if you want them crispy. But cook it at medium to low heat on the burner.

Here's a recipe I just did for a second time for me and my wife for dinner :

Called Shrimp & Zucchini pasta ! Ingredients are :

7 ounces shelled shrimp, 2 zucchini squash sliced in thin rounds, 9 ounces of cream cheese, 1 lemon zested and cut in half, squeeze half in the pasta, other half just cook in. 1 small bunch of dill and 1 vegetable stock cube in a large saucepan . Add 9 ounces whole wheat spaghetti, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 teaspoon each of salt and pepper, and 3 cups of water. Cook about 15 to 20 minutes over medium, stirring often. About one quarter inch of cooking liquid should remain at the end. Serves 4 . It was enough for 2 nights worth of dinner for me and my wife. It's really delicious ! Give it a try !

So these are a few recipes I've been workin ' on. Thanks for starting the thread ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Thanks you guys, everyone's doing such great cooking!

LV101 I love tomatoes too. It's great having a greenhouse. Maybe one day you'll have more time.

How lovely that you're making food Izabella can eat too Darkknight.

Scruff, I want to try more marinades, especially on fish.

caves, you've eaten some weird stuff! I love blueberries, I bet that pie was delicious, I must try making one.

Wow Flipper thanks so much for the recipes. You make a lot of wonderful stuff. I will try them but I can't promise to stick to them religiously 😀

• jp1692
    jp1692

I call it jazz cooking. You start with a standard recipe and then improvise on the changes!

• scruffmcbuff
    scruffmcbuff

Im preparing a rolles brisket to slow roast tomorrow. Im thinking a 10hr cook should suffice. Nothing to exciting. Iron pot, beef stock , garlic, carrots and 10hrs in the oven!

Only thing is to sear first or not... any opinions?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit