Struggling to find a purpose

by My Name is of No Consequence 38 Replies latest jw experiences

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Hey there`s nothing wrong in hitting a few beer`s or wine`s after finding whatever other activities to keep you occupied ,you can meet some very nice people their also .

I speak from experience.

smiddy3

PS ,You don`t have to over indulge and make a gig of yourself

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

ribla - I expect you're in America. Shame. Otherwise we might have got together for a jam session.

• Linda14
    Linda14

I never went through such a thought. I still believe the bible, God and I believe that one day His kingdom will come. I see wt as one among many who search for truth in God's word. They learn few truths, others learn others. No one has monopoly.

For me God exists and there are evidence that He does. I love God's word and wt can't destroy that love.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Think about a candle. It has a relatively short "life," yet we cannot say the candle has no purpose just because it is ultimately burned up and gone.

Our life is similar to the candle. We don't last too long, then we're gone. But like the candle, while we're here we can serve a purpose; we can bring light (wisdom) and heat (passion) into the world.

Many JWs I knew in my long-ago youth would have said the purpose in life was to "be happy." I still think that is right, and even more so when you take a dictatorial band of hypocritical theocrats out of the picture.

"God" does NOT need your money, you do. If your comfortable, find a cause you support and do what you can. If you are physically able, give some of your energy to a cause you believe in. Here are some you can consider: Doctors Without Borders, aid for wounded veterans, children's hospitals, animal rescue/welfare, legal justice, and religious charities. Even though I am not a Believer, I donate to religious charities because they are usually more effective at getting money to where it is needed, unlike many quasi-scam popular "charities." You can get information online about which charities are most efficient.

Let us know what you discover within yourself.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath
    God exists and there are evidence that He does.

it would be almost interesting to hear more..but on second thoughts dont bother..ive heard it all before.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    stan - dont bother..ive heard it all before.

I find that 'believers' cannot offer any evidence that isn't fanciful and contrived.....and isn't evidence.

I thought about asking, 'why?' but thought better of it. what's the point? Believers just have no answers and bow out of the conversation. I guess because they don't want their world view shattered. But, hey ho. Leave them be.

• riblah
    riblah

ribla - I expect you're in America. Shame. Otherwise we might have got together for a jam session.

That would be so good! Maybe your band could play at some places in the southeastern US.

I like Mark's videos on Talking Bass; he is in the UK.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

ribby - I'm not sure I've seen that youtuber, but thanks for the heads-up.

I doubt I'll ever visit America but who knows what the future will bring? Usually big bills that need paying.

I've been seen on youtube a few times but when I was playing lead guitar in another band.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH
    Nathan: Many JWs I knew in my long-ago youth would have said the purpose in life was to "be happy." I still think that is right

Me too. I think that people want to be happy above all else. The things we do and pursue are based on happiness at some level. I think it's very helpful for any individual to take stock of his/her life and figure out what would make them happy, then plan accordingly.

If I'm only here for a short time and then I am gone, I'd like to have lived a life where I was happy as often as I was able to be. That is the essence of the concept of enjoying what you have, while you have it. One of the more insidious outcomes of religious belief is that people will live a life of suffering and deprivation because they believe that life will really begin after they die. If they're wrong, the collective wasted talent over the course of human existence is staggering.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit