Struggling to find a purpose

by My Name is of No Consequence 38 Replies latest jw experiences

• My Name is of No Consequence
    My Name is of No Consequence

I spent most of my life in the org. We were taught that our purpose in life was to serve Jehovah. That never really made sense to me, but it was still a purpose to keep going. I’m not disfellowshipped (at least I don’t think I am), but I have not been to a meeting since 2015ish. I’m now divorced, a large part of that had to do with me waking up. Since then, I’ve really struggled to find a purpose. My purpose is obviously not to “serve god”. I don’t even have a family to take care of. At least when I was married, I could say that my purpose was to take care of my wife and stepson. I have a decent job and have made a fairly comfortable living. But having a god job and living comfortably isn’t a purpose. Now that I’ve entered middle age, I’ve been thinking about this a lot and have been doing a lot of reflection on my life up to this point.

Has anyone else felt this way? What have you done, or am doing, about it?

• Bartolomeo
    Bartolomeo

Unlike the majority of those writing here I have not lost faith in Jehovah and the Bible, I am not blind and I clearly see the mistakes of the WTS, things that leave a bad taste in your mouth and which personally led me to give resignation as a congregation elder and pioneer for several years. But I attend the meetings and I love the brothers, even if they are very simple people and who, in my opinion, make the mistake of idolizing the GB. It's their problem, not mine. Going back to my wife and I, we have retired to life in the countryside, we have taken some land to cultivate and some animals. This thing makes us feel good and in harmony with creation.

• Hellothere
    Hellothere

Better to give then receive. Why not help people in need. Or maeby abandon animals. There's a lot too do out there. When it comes to jw land. Holy spirit is not in meetings. It's another spirit there now. That's why they depressed. But you make your own choice if you wanna attend meetings or not.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

There is NO genuine (natural) purpose in life, even writers (included in the bible) admit that.

Here's a few texts (using ESV)

1 peter 1:24 - "All flesh is like grass and all its glory like the flower of grass. The grass withers, and the flower falls"

Likely this author drew on previous writings to make his point (which was to have a new life with jesus) which may have been a text like Psalm 102:3

My days are like an evening shadow; I wither away like grass.

The author of James draws on other imagery

See James 4:14, What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes.

Various texts could have been in that writer's mind, but Psalm 144:4 will suffice...

Man is like a breath; his days are like a passing shadow.

There's lots more all making the same points (seek god's purpose) and I often used these texts in my JW life, where I imagined myself as a shepherd caring for god's little lambs.

Those writers imagined that there was a creator who had a purpose for them. Any contemporary christian likely thinks the same way- but what happens when the scales fall from their eyes and they see clearly that it is veery unlikely that there is any such creator.

That is your position, isn't it. So what to do - look around you and you see people doing all kinds of things, without religion being the most important thing in their lives.

After I was kicked out, I focussed on my work, learning to use CAD in my design work. I'd also (as a kid) loved history and would spend hours reading history books, So at age 75, I went to University to study Asian history, I was fortunate enough to have a professor who had also worked in the Australian diplomatic service and served in many Asian nations. I spent ten years attending lectures at two leading (Sydney) universities, and reckon I know have a great all-round understanding of Asia. Was there a function to all that study - many would say it was pointless, no use to me or anyone, but look closer - there was point - personal satisfaction. If the rise of Asia is in the news, I can understand the truth or not of various statements. Yes, again that's just my personal satisfaction.

But in the end, that's all anyone has in their life. Personal satisfaction.

So maybe that's an angle to consider. Now you're free, what can you do to give you more personal satisfaction. You're free to set your own goals and purpose in your life.

Good luck in your search.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known
    You're free to set your own goals and purpose in your life.

There is no purpose in life, but each of us does desire to have meaning. Perhaps meaning is a greater desire over that of happiness. I was once were you are. I read 2 books that helped me through this and I am better than I have ever been.

Man's Search for Meaning eBook : Frankl, Viktor E., Kushner, Harold S.,  Winslade, William J.: Kindle Store - Amazon.com

The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching: Transforming Suffering into Peace, Joy,  and Liberation - Kindle edition by Hanh, Thich Nhat. Religion &  Spirituality Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

I agree that there is no self evident meaning or purpose in life. However, Jesus said, "I have come that you may have life and that you might have it more abundantly. That sounds to me like a relationship overflowing with meaning and purpose.

I see you did find meaning and purpose in your marriage. As a believer, I see sacrificial love in marriage as a picture of ultimate meaning and purpose.

• titch
    titch

This post reminds me of something that I printed from this Website, several years ago. It was a picture of a cat, sitting next to a baby, and the cat asks the baby, "So, what do you think the meaning of life is? The baby replies: "Food and sleep." The cat responds: "Yep, that's what I thought." Best Regards, Everyone.----Titch.

• Hellothere
  • peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

If you recall what was the "purpose" of life promised in the paradise? Eat, music, art, pets, learning new things, enjoy the company of friends, and make a home. Its what we want, what we need so it was attractive. They never promised a 'purpose' beyond that. The 'serve God' element was undefined and nebulous.

What generally kept us from existential malaise, when the religion was working for us, was "the program", the duties, the sense of selflessness of giving our time.

Some military veterans feel similarly, their former life was structured and in many ways defined by a command hierarchy. Many counselors recommend simple things like getting involved with the community, join a club, do volunteer work, anything to rebuild an identity and learn that life's "purpose" is exactly what you are doing that occupies your mind and fills the heart.

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

I think we are all given gifts ( talents) that we are to share with others who don't have that same gift..( so we help balance out a need they have and they help balance out a need we have.) In other words, find ways to make another person's life better. ( you may even get paid for it ) I can make people's lives more enjoyable by designing their interiors, bringing beauty, function, and comfort to their homes. The mechanic makes my life better by fixing my car. We have been subjected to futility ( I hate that ) and that tends to lead into the mindset of what's the purpose. I think it I were to die, not many if any would care at all...but while here, I made things better for at least some people. Ecc 3:13 And people should eat and drink and enjoy the fruits of their labor, for these are gifts from God.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit