Do you recognize the Truth? Watchtower July, 2024

by Listener 14 Replies latest watchtower bible

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete
    But in the days when the book of Acts was written, had they already witnessed a century of false predictions?

Yes. Well close to it. When Acts was written there was already a huge diversity of Christianities (a half dozen or so sects are cleverly referenced) and many of them evolved specifically due to the failure of the promised end. In fact, Acts was written in response to this. The focus had shifted from imminent judgement of the nations to forgiveness of sins and resurrection. The only brief mention of Jesus' return I can recall is the cryptically worded Acts 1:11 that lent to a multitude of interpretations.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange
    When Acts was written there was already a huge diversity of Christianities (a half dozen or so sects are cleverly referenced) and many of them evolved specifically due to the failure of the promised end.

So now we know where WT gets it.
    2,000 years of pining away for the promised end.

And I bet every one of them met their end before The End.

And so it is today...............

• blondie
    blondie

When the "apostasy" presented itself in 1981 at Bethel, with private pre-study groups for meetings, the WTS had to change its "opinion" of what Acts 17:11 said, a 180 turn. Never again did they say it this way again.

*** w81 2/15 p. 18 Do We Need Help to Understand the Bible? ***How shall we view the spiritual food provided by this “faithful and discreet slave”? Should it be viewed critically—‘Oh, well, it might be true but then again it might not be and so we have to scrutinize it very critically’? Some apparently have felt that way about it. To support their way of thinking they have quoted Acts 17:11, which says of newly interested persons at Beroea: “Now the latter were more noble-minded than those in Thessalonica, for they received the word with the greatest eagerness of mind, carefully examining the Scriptures daily as to whether these things were so.” But does this mean that those Beroeans were looking for flaws in the message they were hearing, or that their attitude was one of doubting? Does this set a precedent for regarding critically the publications brought forth by the “faithful and discreet slave,” with a view to finding fault? Not at all!

• Scully
    Scully

Hi there, Listener:

The second quality needed to discern truth stated in the article, is -

HUMILITY
    Comments under this quality include
    Jehovah will help us put his thoughts, which he provides through his Word and his organization, ahead of our own.
    Being prideful could lead us to consider our personal opinions to be just as valid as Scriptural principles and direction from Jehovah’s organization.

Funny how the GB stresses the quality of Humility™ which permits the GB to act in such a presumptuous, prideful and egotistical manner. Classic narcissism.

• was a new boy
    was a new boy
    18. What do you learn from Marco and Sidse’s experience?

answer - JW writers are cowards, next time get to the root of the issue, tell us WHY their adult daughters left!

18 Consider the example of Marco and his wife, Sidse, whose two adult daughters left the truth. Marco says:

“From the day your children are born, you love them so much. You would do anything to protect them from harm.

So when they choose to leave Jehovah, it is heartbreaking.” He continues: “But Jehovah has been by our

side. He has made sure that when I am weak, my wife is strong, and when she is weak, I am strong.” Sidse

adds: “We would not have been able to endure if Jehovah had not provided us with the strength we needed. I

was strugglingwith the feeling that it was my fault, so I told Jehovah how I felt. After a short time, a sister

whom I hadn’t seen for many years came up to me, laid her hands on my shoulders, looked me in the eyes,

and said: ‘Remember, Sidse, it is not your fault!’ With Jehovah’s help, I have managed to maintain my joy in

serving him.”

Was it the religion's fault?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit