How/when did you become a jehovas witness?

by Lewis1998 18 Replies latest jw experiences

• Lewis1998
    Lewis1998

So I've been a protestant for most of my life, it's how I was raised, but recently I started questioning my faith more and more and now I feel like my beliefs resemble that of a Jehovas witness rather than a Protestant. I don't know any jehovas witnesses, so I was just wondering how a lot of you found the religion and adapted to it?

• deegee
    deegee

Lewis1998,

So that we get a better idea of what you mean, what is your understanding of the word "Protestant" ?

As far as I know, anyone who is not Catholic is Protestant.

• waton
    waton

I was a protestant and accepted wt beliefs because my grandparents were true believers, with an ancient Lutheran Leather bound bible***, (I never read) that contained the wt answers to wt questions That I never had never a reply too, war, lefe.

Now I realize, that the bible , really ancient is as wrong as the concept the writers had at that distant past.

Before going into more bible details, using wt hype, study the fables, scientific untruih that this un-inspired book contains.

*** their most costly posession by far.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I "made a stand for the truth" is the most economical way of describing it. Anyone else in that position?

• hoser
    hoser

My parents converted to JW's in the mid 1960's. In the mid 1980's my brainwashed mother made a death threat to me by telling me that the generation that saw 1914 was getting old and if I didn't get baptized soon Jehovah God would have no choice but to execute me at Armageddon which was imminent. I took the plunge in 1987. That's how I became a Jehovah's Witness. Little did I know that a mere 8 years later the leaders of the jws would change the generation teaching. The 1914 generation are basically dead at this point.

• a watcher
    a watcher

I was raised agnostic but wanted to become a Christian as an adult.

I checked out 4 major Christian religions (Catholic, Protestant (Baptist), Mormon, and JW's.)

I chose the JW's because their understanding of the Bible was the most accurate, and so I was baptized as a JW in my mid-20's.

• bsmart
    bsmart

Lewis, this website is for EX Witnesses for the most part, I was raised in the religion and left after high school never being baptized. I still have some family in the faith so try to keep informed with current teachings. The religion has changed so much in the last 40 years I don't recognize most of the beliefs.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

I don't know any jehovas witnesses, so I was just wondering how a lot of you found the religion and adapted to it?

I didn't adopt it. That's my mother's religion when I was born. If you look at our experiences here, you will see that there are very different ways and things that made people interested in becoming a JW.

Since that religion was imposed on me, and since I was never cut to be one, throughout my entire life as a JW there were lots of conflicts between that organization, my family and me.

Personally that organization doesn't do it for me, but if you relate to their teachings, give it a try. It may or may not be for you.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Parents were exposed in the late 50's and adopted many customs, no birthdays, blood, holidays etc. Was raised "around" the religion. Die hard aunt kept pushing. I followed thru on my own and baptized at 16. The rest of my siblings fell like dominoes. YEARS later my mom was baptized in the 90's. Dad never fell for it fully. I guess it was my fault we got sucked in.

• SummerAngel
    SummerAngel

I was born in and deflected to real Christianity about 25 yes ago. There are many differences but predominantly it is the cultural difference rather than belief difference. Ie I go to church to worship god and have fellowship. I can openly challenge leadership. I can not turn up for 5 yes at one point etc and I have no flack from management for that. Before joining you should read JW facts although his stance like many ex JWs is atheist he raises a lot of awareness about this cult and just what you would be joining.you could simply shop around amongst evangelical or baptist type churches or you may conclude that none is for you. Bear in mind everyone on this site and there are 20k of us left for a reason, many others want to leave but are trapped..Personally there's nothing to recommend this cult at all.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit