When JW.org drops 607BCE...

by Nathan Natas 141 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

PetrW: But I think your question was mainly directed at whether Christ was somehow deliberately hiding the time of His coming.

I was trying to show a flaw in the JW approach. The concept of an invisible presence seems odd until one learns of the attempts to set dates in the 1840s and 1914. In both of those situations, the concept of an invisible presence was used as a way to imply that the prediction had not been completely incorrect. The claim was that the event (Christ returning) had indeed occurred, but it had happened so quietly that even those who expected it hadn't noticed.

It's the sort of obvious nonsense that we normally see through, when the stakes aren't as high as we believe them to be. If our hopes and dreams are dependent on a prediction coming true, we are willing to extend our credulity surprisingly far.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Wow, "Scholar" seems deeply committed to supporting WT misology.

I saw "sound Biblical Chronology" riding a unicorn once.

How flat is the earth, "Scholar"?

I think from now on I'll call myself "Nathan UberMensch The Genius Master Of All he surveys" so people will know my word is TRUTH and that I am not full of shit.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

NotFormer declared, "...the Napoleonic wars were pretty vast in scope, involving a lot of nations of the time..."

And IN FACT, the early WT used Napoleon as the "pivot man" for their "Bible Based Chronology."

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Nathan Natas:

And IN FACT, the early WT used Napoleon as the "pivot man" for their "Bible Based Chronology."

Shh… ‘scholar’ would prefer that everyone forget that ‘God’s chosen people’ were saying the ‘time of the end’ began in 1799, up until they changed it in 1929. And Russell also didn’t believe that Jesus’ presence began in 1914, or that Jesus became king in 1914, or that Satan was thrown out of heaven in (or after) 1914.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

DesirousOfChange queried, "Are you sure that WT hasn't already abandoned 607?"

Good point! There are two kinds of abandonment in this case: A. neglect, as we see now, with the Celebrated Bible Scholars failing to mention the doctrine, hoping no one will notice (but we do), and B. Official "New Light" with a "scholarly" article in some JW media about how THIS replaces THAT. An example would be when the Celebrated Bible Scholar Joey Rutherford dismissed the WT doctrine about the Giza pyramid being "The Bible in Stone." That ridiculous doctrine was very similar to the 607 doctrine in that the only people to whom it mattered were Servants of Jah, the rest of the world knew BS when they smelled it.

• Balaamsass2
    Balaamsass2

The entire basis of 3 of the world's most common religions is Abraham. A desert goat herder who "heard god talking to him in the desert" while he was....alone... God told him they were best buds, his seed would become countless, and he had to kill his son. He went back to his tent and convinced everyone he was God's chosen friend.

Think about it. If a tent-dwelling goat herder told you he was God's chosen one...because ONLY he heard voices in the desert....would you plan your entire life and your kids on what he said? If so....you can find many "Abrahams" at your nearest homeless camp this week smoking "herb", while they tell you how the last psychiatrist who treated them didn't know what he was talking about.

Look at Watchtower's printed chronology. Following it would get you an F in any accredited college class in History, Archaeology, Anthropology, Geology, or Paleontology. Adam's creation date? The earliest cities? The "Flood" and its date and scope?

It would be better to discuss how many buttons "Santa" has on his tunic. IMO.

• Balaamsass2
  • Balaamsass2
    Balaamsass2

How does this fit into Watchtower Chronology?

Gobekli Tepe: The World’s First Temple?

Predating Stonehenge by 6,000 years, Turkey’s stunning Gobekli Tepe upends the conventional view of the rise of civilization.

"Six miles from Urfa, an ancient city in southeastern Turkey, Klaus Schmidt has made one of the most startling archaeological discoveries of our time: massive carved stones about 11,000 years old, crafted and arranged by prehistoric people who had not yet developed metal tools or even pottery. The megaliths predate Stonehenge by some 6,000 years. The place is called Gobekli Tepe, and Schmidt, a German archaeologist who has been working here more than a decade, is convinced it's the site of the world's oldest temple."

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/gobekli-tepe-the-worlds-first-temple-83613665/

• scholar
    scholar

Jeffro

See, ‘scholar’ admits that it is impossible to refute my proof of 587 BCE. Unless he supposes that a subsequent statement of his places that statement in a particular context. But that would make him a dishonest hypocrite. 🦆

--

It is impossible to refute your 'proof' of 587 as it is your contrivance based on your assumptions and methodology. The only way by which your contrivance can be disproved is by having no assumptions but knowing for certain the calendrical system and regnal dating system used by both Jeremiah and Ezekiel. However, Biblical chronology based on events rather than regnal dates as part of a calendar is much simpler and falsifies 586 and 587 BCE dates for the Fall.is the far superior methodology.

scholar JW

• scholar
    scholar

Jeffro

See how ‘scholar’ continues to bleat with empty words but fails to demonstrate either an understanding of the material or any refutation of any premises (fallacy: poisoning the well). He also continues to defer to outdated scholarship from the 1940s (fallacious appeal to authority).

--

The said scholar does not deal in empty words or speech for he simply observes that your contrivance is just one of so many attempting to prove either 586 or 587 BCE ending up proving no such thing. The fact is that despite the numerous charts, books on chronology, and academic journal articles no scholar today knows the precise date for the fall except Jehovah's Witnesses by means of those 'celebrated' WT scholars.

scholar JW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit