Evolution, fine. Still a missiion....

by Phaedra 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Phaedra
    Phaedra

I buy into the theory of evolution.

Where does it's "mission" to do what it does (programming) come from?

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

What's the agenda? Does gravity have an agenda? The law of thermodynamics also?

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5
    You edited the agenda part of the OP. My questions now make little sense. Ahh well....
  • cofty
    cofty
    Where does it's "mission" to do what it does (programming) come from?

Hi Phaedra. Interesting question.

There is no "mission" in biology. The most successful lifeforms on the planet are bacteria. They are still single cell prokaryotic cells billions of years after they first appeared. Others got together and formed multicelled organisms. Some got together with other bacteria in a process called endosymbiosis to form more complex eukaryotic cells.

Millions of life forms have evolved and found their own niche. More than 95% of life's experiments have gone extinct. We happen to be a very successful species because of our big brains.

There is no teleology, no end game. We are not at the top of a tree and it wasn't ever about us.

It's a humbling thought isn't it?

• Phaedra
    Phaedra
    Sorry 2+2. I originally had agenda and changed it to mission.

• Phaedra
    Phaedra

Cofty, but what makes them successful? Why do they exist and have a seeming mission to survive.

Real, authentic wonderings.

• cofty
    cofty

Species that are well adapted to the environment they find themselves in leave more copies of their genes than those who fail to survive and reproduce.

Our genes build our brains as well as our bodies. Genomes that don't produce minds that are strongly motivated to survive and reproduce don't.

We come from a very long line of survivors.

I think "The Selfish Gene" might help you. If you see evolution from the perspective of the gene it makes a lot more sense and clears up a lot of misunderstandings.

• cappytan
    cappytan
    "The Selfish Gene" was an excellent read.
  • cantleave
    cantleave
    Life is what chemistry does!
  • Phaedra
    Phaedra

I will look into "The Selfish Gene." It sounds like a good read to help explain the new territory I'm exploring. Thanks for the recommendation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit