Any here who didn't rebel as a teenager and were a goody two shoes instead?

by purrpurr 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I never thought of myself as a "model" JW teen, growing up in the 80s (I knew a couple, and they annoyed the hell out of me).

I never drank or used drugs, but that was mostly because I thought it was stupid, and tried cigarettes once, but it didn't take.

I still loved hard rock music, watched the occasional R-rated movie, refused to dress like the "exemplary" teens presented in the WT publications (preferred jeans and t-shirts), and said the occasional F-word, though.

Had JW friends, but hung out with non-JW kids in my neighborhood and at school, too.

I even had "worldy" girls show an occasional interest in me, but had no money and no car (and - at the time - would have preferred a JW girlfriend because I still - more-or-less - believed) LOL.

I guess I grew up pretty liberally; maybe that's why I'm not as f**ked-up as some.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

I think it depends how you define 'rebel as a teenager'.

My father commented before he passed away that we had been good kids and hadn't caused them any worry. I could never bring myself to commit fornication or adultery. I always turned it down. Drunkenness and needing dental work was accidental it wasn't rebellion. I rebelled against my father with the music that I listened to. He didn't think we should listen to any music produced by people with long hair, which ruled out the Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Yes, Pink Floyd,Genesis, Alice Cooper, ELP, Queen, Humble Pie, etc. that I had and he didn't know about, but the neighbours did when he was out. I did rebel in my attitude toward the truth in some ways although I pioneered. I wouldn't say I was a goody two shoes and felt I probably wouldn't survive Armageddon. However I always and still do think I done my best.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    I got myself into the religion at 14 - my parents and relatives never were in the religion - and I was the nerdy type. I stayed in there throughout my teens and got df'd for apostasy - the honorable way out - when I was 20. Goody two shoes and virgin all the way throughout my stay.
  • Phaedra
    Phaedra
    that was me, mostly
  • konceptual99
    konceptual99

I was pretty good. I got drunk, listened to whatever music I wanted and mucked about but never smoked or had sex. I never pioneered but was pretty serious about da troof. My dad was an elder and I did think about the impact actions I may do would have on him.

Even though I think I took it all way too seriously and could have got away with a lot more, I am also grateful that I didn't get into real trouble, perhaps with getting too serious too quickly with the wrong girl, getting into drugs or ending up doing something that hurt someone else or was criminal.

I did end up getting married to a real gem of a lady who remains my best friend and to a certain extent have da troof to thank for that.

Do I wish I saw TTATT much earlier? Of course. But I am happy that being good early on has not meant a lot of pain and getting hitched to the wrong person. Naturally it's impossible to say what could have been but aside from the pain of trying to extricate myself from the WT I can't complain.

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

I was the goody-two-shoes in our hall, as there were 4 girls who got pregnant between the ages of 15-16. I was so glad that I wasn't one of them. Still glad that I wasn't a young teen mother.

• Lostwun
    Lostwun
    I was very much the goody goody elders daughter growing up almost so much that i resented the title. I felt like i never fitted in with my jw friends because of it.
  • purrpurr
    purrpurr
    Thanks all for your responses, it seems a common theme that being a goody goody two shoes means not fitting in to the Cong? And what really sucks is that for me at least now that I'm out I don't fit in to the world either! Multiple senses of not belonging.
  • Absolutesbeginners
    Absolutesbeginners

Yes i see what you mean ....
    « i should have rock the boat earlier « I think the same sometimes .....i was like you a «goody two shoes « until my 18 een .
    But if i wasnt it would have been WW3 at home i guess ....big time ... ( it was even anyway )

Past is the past; and you CANT change it ....and maybe i think if you want to smoke drink and spend nights with many different people you can wait after 18 anyway .no ?

Many teens with parents whom are not jw do the same . quiet until 18. thats all .

dont really know if its good or bad . and i dont have kids myself ......

What i regret the most about my teenage times in jwland is that i was going door to door every f...ing week ,and that every year i signed "by myself" this f...ing «blood card» .

I guess i was too young and powerless to say «NO» !

This list is missing many other things ........

Yes you right we should have rock the boat EARLIER !!

Nevertheless dont forget some people NEVER wake up ......!!

So your are lucky ! look in front of you , not behind you !

( do what i say , not what i do
    Take care .

Absolutes beginners.

Ps btw me too i felt like i wasnt part of "their world" at the time , and still think now i am not part of "this world "too . 20 years later ....lets take it as a chance ..."another point of view in life"

• TheListener
    TheListener
    I was a goody two shoes. I would push the envelope a bit and listen to music that my dad didn't like but that was easy to do (he doesn't really care for any music). I did a few things that got me talked to by an elder or two but never any real trouble. Pioneered and went to bethel as expected. I don't regret my youth but I do wish some things had been different.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit